Reports to: RISE Deputy Director, Freshman Success
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Location: New Haven, with significant in-state travel
The Connecticut RISE Network (RISE) is a Connecticut-based non-profit organization with a mission to empower educators to achieve breakthrough results, helping all students realize and achieve their full potential. Leveraging its innovative partnership model, RISE facilitates networks for school improvement by bringing together exceptional educators working in different contexts to advance shared goals. By empowering school communities to improve, we invest in a cycle of lasting and scalable impact.
RISE districts and schools commit to sharing resources and expertise, pursuing innovative solutions, strengthening school and district systems, and empowering educators and leaders through continuous improvement. Currently, RISE represents a multi-year partnership between nine school districts across Connecticut, serving 14,000 students across ten high schools to support educators striving to ensure every RISE high school student graduates college and career ready.
Position Summary and Essential Job Functions:
The Freshman Success Associate will play an integral role in advancing RISE’s programmatic efforts through school and district support, Network-wide strategies, and facilitated learning and collaboration. RISE is seeking a talented and highly motivated individual to advance Network goals and strategies. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment, and is passionate about closing achievement gaps and developing the potential of all students regardless of life circumstance.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Network Strategies:
- Support the implementation of the RISE by 5 network-wide strategies designed to strengthen the middle to high school transition.
- Collaborate with RISE high schools to implement efforts in Grade 9 to support all students in pursuing a well-matched postsecondary plan, including on-track data meetings, Grade 8 to 9 summer bridge programs, and freshman on-track counseling.
- Co-lead the development and project management of network-wide programs.
- Develop and disseminate tools, curricula, and resources to advance network strategies and goals.
- Collaborate with other members of the RISE Freshman Success team to identify, pursue, and scale strategies to strengthen the middle to high school transition.
- Support educators in collecting and tracking data, ensuring all students promote on time to sophomore year.
- Collect, analyze, and use data to strengthen program design and implementation.
- School and District Support:
- Collaborate with RISE high school teachers, counselors, and other staff to build capacity around freshman success strategies and practices.
- Provide embedded support and coaching, and cultivate strong partnerships with RISE school/district staff.
- Support each Grade 9 On-Track Data Team on its unique path to advance student outcomes.
- Invite teachers and counselors to pursue innovative ideas through the RISE Educator Innovation Fund, and create opportunities for cross-school sharing and learning.
- Network Learning Agenda:
- Support RISE network-wide convenings and professional learning opportunities that advance the network’s shared agenda to build and strengthen school and district systems.
- Support cross-district collaboration as network school and district teams come together to share data, successes, and challenges implementing network-wide strategies.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Deep understanding of urban districts and schools.
- Experience and expertise with middle to high school transition efforts and strategies preferred.
- Strong belief that all students can learn and achieve at high levels.
- Strong sense of accountability and responsibility for results.
- Desire to work in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, results-oriented environment.
- Commitment to systems-driven solutions for scalable and sustained impact.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including group facilitation.
- Ability to interact professionally and earn credibility with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire school and district staff.
- Sense of humor, positive attitude, and willingness to work in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to ramp up on new content quickly and work in a self-motivated manner.
- Strong critical thinking including synthesizing different types of data.
- Experience assessing and applying best practices at scale to drive results.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to meet competing demands.
- Excellent computer skills; ability to use PowerPoint, Excel, Google apps, and the Internet.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required.
- Minimum of two years of professional experience with prior experience facilitating improvement and/or adult learning in an education setting.
- Prior experience working as and/or directly with educators in urban schools/districts.
RISE is an equal Opportunity Employer