2318 Mill Road
Do you want to use your writing and editing skills to help conquer cancer and make a difference in the world?
Cancer strikes more than 10 million people worldwide each year. As the leading medical society representing doctors who care for people with cancer, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is committed to conquering cancer though research, education, and promotion of the highest quality patient care.
Who we are:
ASCO is a stable, forward-thinking, growing membership organization that operates in a results-focused work environment in which employees’ evaluation emphasizes performance outcomes over presence or time. This is an Alexandria, Virginia-based position that offers an excellent benefits package, subsidized parking or Metro benefits, and opportunities to participate in professional development programs. To learn more about ASCO, visit www.asco.org/jobs.
Who we are looking for:
The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, entry-level Editorial Assistant to provide editorial and administrative support of ASCO’s meeting publications. If you are an organized and detail-oriented individual looking to jump start your career, we want to hear from you!
What you will do:
- Edit for grammar, style, and meaning and provide fact-checking, proofreading, and other editorial support for content across the meeting publication portfolio
- Produce original content, including writing articles for ASCO Daily News, ASCO’s meeting newspaper, and the ASCO Educational Book, a peer-reviewed, scholarly publication
- Solicit content, track status, and correspond with members and volunteers who submit content to ASCO Daily News and the ASCO Educational Book
- Communicate directly with ASCO staff in other departments to solicit and coordinate content and proof review for the meeting publications
- Assist in answering emails directed to the ASCO Daily News and Educational Book inboxes
- Provide timely, accurate, and thorough follow-up to all written or oral communication
- Complete research requests and support department activities and initiatives
What you will need in order to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in English/Humanities or Journalism)
- At least 1 year of editing, writing and/or publications support experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and manage own time, priorities, and resources to achieve goals
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to delivering high-quality work
- Excellent customer service skills
- Comfortable with learning and adapting to new technology
Ideal candidates will also contribute:
- Knowledge of AMA Style Guide or Chicago Manual of Style
- Previous experience working in an association or non-profit
ASCO is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Minimum Education Required