Details: Commensurate with experience
The Oak Park Education Foundation:
The Oak Park Education Foundation (OPEF) is the fundraising entity, which supports the Oak Park Unified School District (OPUSD). The purpose of the Oak Park Education Foundation is to help supplement the costs associated with a high quality educational experience for our students. Oak Park Schools are rated in the top 1% in the state of California. Public schools in the state are especially stretched for funds and require educational foundations to help bridge the gap.
OPUSD is one of a select number of District of Choice school districts. Because of its high performance and top reputation, OPUSD attracts students from throughout the Conejo, Simi and San Fernando Valleys.
OPEF has played a modest and consistent role in helping fund specific programs within the district. Last year, the district’s request of the community to renew the parcel tax did not pass by a razor thin number of votes. This amplified the role of the foundation significantly to become a source of income to supplement state funding. This puts OPEF at an exciting and important juncture.
Position Description and Responsibilities:
The Executive Director is OPEF’s first paid position. In conjunction with the Board of Directors, this position is responsible for developing and implementing annual strategic plans to meet fundraising goals. The ideal candidate will be an energetic and enthusiastic professional who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment. S/he will set up processes, systems and new fundraising initiatives to help support the school district’s needs.
Reporting to the foundation’s Board, the Executive Director must be a seasoned leader with demonstrated success in the areas of individual and major gift fundraising, strategic and program planning, and the development of a case for support that resonates with a variety of parent interests. Knowledge of planned giving is helpful.
It is critical that the Executive Director develop an understanding of the school community and is active and involved in developing partnerships with the parent associations at each school. The ED is visible at school events, meeting and engaging parents, and building the reputation of the foundation throughout the community.
S/he must be able to set and meet financial goals and demonstrate achievement in volunteer involvement, as well as donor growth and retention. Demonstrated experience with identifying, soliciting, and stewarding donors at the four and five figure gift levels is required.
The ideal candidate will have 5-10 years of leadership experience within the development department of a nonprofit or similar foundation. Experience with leading or raising funds for an Education Foundation or school is desired.
The Executive Director must possess these competencies:
- Financial acumen: Fiscally adept at managing revenue and expenses.
- Strategic discipline and vision: Ability to develop an operating plan annually to meet stretch goals for long and short term needs of the district.
- Strong results-orientation: Thrive in an environment focused on measuring performance against fundraising goals, donor retention, program development, marketing and communications.
- High energy leader: Known as a positive and energetic leader willing to lead by example through personal effort and initiative. Adept at identifying, hiring and onboarding highly skilled and talented volunteers and staff (as the foundation grows).
- Highly collaborative style: The Oak Park Unified School District is an exceptionally well-run, highly collaborative district, which sets high standards for delivering an excellent educational experience for its students. The ED must fit this culture by possessing a track record of embracing a collaborative work style. Key to this is building effective working relationships with parent and community volunteers, donors, and school leadership.
· High integrity: Must bring a positive outlook and professionalism to the role, and possess tact, discretion and integrity.
· Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible fundraising experience with an emphasis on individual major gifts. CFRE a plus.
· Bachelor’s degree. Higher degree a plus.
· Demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and to seek board assistance as appropriate.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a diverse range of groups including parents, school administration and principals, community members, donors and sponsors.
· Local travel and availability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Full salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in English and excellent oral and written communication skills is required.
Minimum Education Required