18 Tremont Street, Suite 608
Second Nature’s mission is to accelerate climate action in, and through, higher education. For more information, please see www.secondnature.org.
Position: Director of Finance and Administration
Exciting opportunity to lead the financial efforts of a small and dynamic environmental non-profit with a focus on climate action in higher education. Second Nature, a Boston-based non-profit, leads US higher education’s leading network of schools committed to aggressive climate action through an initiative where presidents and chancellors of colleges and universities commit their institutions to carbon neutrality and climate resilience.
Reporting to the President, the Director of Finance and Administration is primarily responsible for the financial management of the organization. The position also oversees Second Nature’s operations manager (who assists with payroll, and supports human resources, administrative, and IT activities for the organization). Accessibility to the Boston office is strongly preferred, but remote work may be considered for highly qualified candidates.
- Performs accounting and financial functions to produce accurate financial information used to facilitate decision-making
- Responsible for the financial forecasting and associated financial planning
- Prepares and manages the organizational budget working with the President.
- Manages A/P, A/R, Payroll and banking.
- Maintains paper and electronic records for the organization.
- Prepares for and supports the annual audit
- Ensures timely filing of 990, Form PC, Annual Report and other regulatory filings.
- Leads Finance and Audit Committees of the Board of Directors.
- Serve as a member of Second Nature’s senior management team (Director Team) and contribute to the overall strategic direction of the organization.
- Minimum 5 years of accounting experience with increasing responsibility
- Experience with non-profit financial management, budget management and grant reporting
- Proven management and leadership capabilities
- Demonstrated ability for strategic thinking and innovation
- Commitment to the mission of Second Nature
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of independent initiative
- Superior computer skills and knowledge of database programs
- Experience with QuickBooks Online, ADP, Bill.com, Expensify, Microsoft Office and Google Docs is required. Familiarity with Salesforce is strongly preferred
- Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations
This is a full‐time salaried position. Boston-area location is preferred, but remote work will be considered for exceptional candidates. Compensation will commensurate with experience. A competitive benefits package is provided.
Second Nature is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any of the following: race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or gender characteristics, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Minimum Education Required