KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE
KIND was founded by the Microsoft Corporation and UNHCR Special Envoy Angelina Jolie, and is the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone. We do this in partnership with over 531 law firms, corporate legal departments, law schools, and bar associations has served more than 16,386 children since 2009, and trained over 26,018 private sector attorneys to provide them with high quality representation in their deportation proceedings. KIND promotes protection of children in countries of origin and transit countries and works to address the root causes of child migration from Central America. KIND also advocates to change law, policy, and practices to improve the protection of unaccompanied children in the United States, by educating policymakers, the media, and the broader public about the violence that is driving children out of Central America and their need for protection.
KIND seeks a full-time Paralegal for its Houston field office to support attorneys with case preparation for direct representation clients, assist with interpretation and translation, assist in the preparation or deliverance of outreach and community education events, assist with pro bono placement and related duties, and help manage other administrative duties in the office, including database management.
Educational and Experience Requirements
Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma;
- Fluency in Spanish;
- Experience conducting intakes and office management;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skill;
- Ability to work collaboratively, and prior experience working with individual attorneys, law firms, or legal services organizations;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, and attention to detail;
- Experience in data management;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; and
- Experience working in immigration law and with immigration authorities or with family law issues or substantially equivalent experience preferred.
The staff member will have, but not be limited to, the following responsibilities:
1. Liaise with colleague NGOs to receive case referrals and ensure that referrals comply with KIND's case acceptance criteria;
- Manage client case data and update client management software, including upcoming hearing dates, client communications, and filing deadlines;
3. Interview, screen and conduct a comprehensive intake with each individual child;
4. Draft detailed and compelling case summary from intake with child;
5. Coordinate and present at outreach, Know-Your-Rights presentations, and/or community education events as needed;
6. Provide translation and interpretation between English and Spanish as needed;
7. Assist with case preparation for direct representation of clients and help prepare filings for state court, the asylum office, and other immigration agencies;
8. Assist with pro bono placements and related duties;
9. Prepare and manage docket lists for upcoming court hearing dates; and
10. Assist with office administration and case management, including data entry.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Direct Representation Attorney(s)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary range requirements, writing sample, and three references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/
Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for
interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.