Program Director, Great Camp Sagamore, Raquette Lake, NY
- Job posted by Sagamore Institute, : Adirondack Great Camp
P. O. Box 40
The Director of Programs at Great Camp Sagamore designs, implements and evaluates the programming that is at the heart of the Sagamore camp experience. Programs at Sagamore are developed both by the institution and partners including Roads Scholar and other organizations. This position oversees all residential programming; it also coordinates Sagamore's intergenerational programs with Road Scholar and seasonal staff. This position is responsible for the overall administration and direction of Sagamore's programs. This includes calendar development, internal and external program coordination, assistance with intern recruitment, hiring and training and other duties.
· Direct and create a varied series of environmental and nature based programming and work with other staff and organizations to oversee program implementation.
· Create a welcoming environment that greets and orients visitors to insure their experience at Sagamore is a great one.
· Develop programs supporting Sagamore’s mission that advocates for the preservation of the historic complex and the natural world.
· Lead interactive programs for Sagamore guests and train interns to do so as well.
· Recruit, train and supervise seasonal staff and interns.
· Oversee outdoor safety procedures and protocols to insure everyone’s safe enjoyment of the camp.
· Provide information Great Camp Sagamore programs, operations and layout to the guests. .
· Lead weekly staff meetings
· Communicate effectively with staff to create a respectful and open work environment.
· Work with volunteers and interns and support them in their development at Sagamore.
· Uphold excellent guest services at all times.
· Outdoor work environment in a wilderness setting with varied weather conditions.
· Able to move over uneven terrain and navigate wilderness trail system.
· Live in historic buildings at Sagamore during season and work from home in winter season of November – April.
· Comfort working with people of varied abilities and interests.
· Work during the season requires weekend and evening hours.
· Able to lift 50 lbs.
Qualifications & Requirements:
· Education or interpretation program administration experience required.
· Basic knowledge/understanding of Adirondack natural and cultural history.
· Knowledge and comfort with computer skills including MS office suite, social media and others.
· Either have or be willing to obtain (with Sagamore’s support) certifications in Wilderness First Aid or other areas.
· Flexible and positive attitude with a willingness to learn from others and open to giving and receiving feedback.
· A completed background check is a condition of employment.
Salary/Wage: Competitive salary and benefits package.
Term: Year Round
Time: Full Time
Reporting to: Executive Director
How To Apply: Address cover letter, resume and list of three references to Garet Livermore, Executive Director, Sagamore Institute of the Adirondacks via email: email@example.com
Minimum Education Required