785 Market Street
Full or part-time; flexible hours
Location: Flexible, remote/work-from-home
We are seeking a legal professional who is passionate about making a difference in improving lives around the world, possess exceptional attention to detail, and thrive in an entrepreneurial, global setting. Join the adventure to help catalyze social impact across the globe!
IDinsight helps leaders combat poverty worldwide by designing, deploying and promoting evidence-generating tools. We tailor the best methodologies to partner needs and constraints to fuse evidence with action. We serve governments, NGOs, foundations and social businesses across Africa and Asia in all major program areas including health, education, agriculture, livelihoods, finance, energy and governance.
Our approach rests on four pillars:
- Rigorous: We develop and use a wide-range of cutting edge data and evidence tools, including experimental evaluations, monitoring systems, data analytics and visualization, process evaluations, machine learning and more.
- Cost-effective: Every dollar spent is justified by expected impact. If funds could be better used in another way, we say so.
- Timely: Actionable information is delivered in time for client decision-making deadlines.
- Demand-driven: We deploy solutions tailored to partner contexts and needs with no competing agendas.
Our diverse, growing team of over 150 outstanding colleagues operate in nearly two dozen countries around the world. Learn more at www.IDinsight.org.
About the Global Operations Team
Our Global Operations team is shepherding IDinsight through a unique stage of organizational growth, tripling the size our current staff in the last two years (from 60 to 170+) and adding multiple new global offices. Our team has been charged with creating a uniquely dynamic and high-achieving multi-cultural, multi-continental team at the cutting edge of how evidence is used to improve global development programs. This team’s mandate is to attract top talent, create the best place to thrive at work, and build the systems to allow IDinsight teams to achieve social impact.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and working with the rest of the Global Operations team and liaising with our country offices, the General Counsel will lead or contribute to the following dynamic and varied efforts:
- Review of legal documents: Review all legal documents including employment offers and templates, client contracts, leases and any other as they arise.
- Risk mitigation and compliance: Help IDinsight identify areas where we may be at risk and recommend mitigation plans.
- Immigration: Oversight of our immigration processes (led by local offices). Handle U.S.-based processes as primary point of contact and support novel and complex situations.
- Local compliance: Work closely with regional leads to ensure we have proper advice on compliant registration, contracting, labor law, taxation and all other issues that require understanding and navigating local law. Manage local legal counsel to maintain local understanding.
- Ad hoc legal concerns: Take on individual legally-related situations as they arise, internal or external.
- Contribution to organization building and development: Contribute to developing IDinsight into a world-class organization by lending expertise and training
- Advisory to senior leadership: Train our leaders on legal matters that may arise in their roles and continue to be a thought partner and advisor to them in their lines of work. Help translate legal/compliance/risk matters for leadership.
Desired qualifications include:
- JD from accredited law school;
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible legal experience;
- Licensed in good standing to practice law;
- Demonstrated track record as a self-starter and leader, including comfort with ambiguity and dynamic environments and work streams;
- Able to independently manage own workflow and deadlines effectively and reliably;
- Experience with international non-profit and U.S. non-profit status- preferred;
- Strong ability to manage up and communicate about multiple workstreams, demonstrating efficient time management;
- Able to effectively liaise with senior leadership;
- Work on quick turnaround timelines and manage multiple stakeholders;
- Passionate about global development and social impact;
- Detail-oriented and able to take a task from high-level strategic idea to rapid execution with a large amount of autonomy;
- High level of conscientiousness and attention to detail – finishes work to completion;
- Strong communicator in multiple fora (written communications, verbal communication, teamwork and upward management);
- Open to feedback and professional growth
- Ability to work with international, cross-cultural, and diverse teams;
- Strong references
- Willingness to do occasional travel- but this is flexible depending on individual
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply through our online application.