DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct regularly scheduled street outreach in the New Orleans metropolitan area, distributing food, clothing, and literature to youth and other individuals in the community.
- Seek out and assist victims of human trafficking and prostitution.
- Utilize various forms of media including texting, the Covenant House app, and social media to strategically engage youth and community members.
- Participate in the UNITY for the Homeless citywide outreach program.
- Serve as community liaison with local service partners, businesses, schools, and community groups for agency outreach purposes (i.e. "school/agency outreach").
- Implement a van/foot patrol schedule that will include the participation of resident youth volunteers to maximize street outreach contacts.
- Transport youth to and from Covenant House. Assist with transportation for additional offsite services/events as needed.
- Serve as client advocate to engage support/social service agencies in the community when necessary.
- Aid in development/implementation of plans to reach and serve youth from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds and youth underrepresented in the Covenant House Crisis Center (including under 18).
- Maintain proper documentation of client and Outreach files in HMIS, ETO, and other information systems as required.
- Ensure compliance and execution of the terms of the grant contracts.
- Attend all trainings (unless specifically excused by supervisor), and integrate information and tools into individualized tasks and responsibilities.
- Perform other job-related duties as requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in social services preferred OR, a minimum of 2 years' experience working with at-risk youth or special needs populations.
- Prior experience working with youth who have experienced homelessness, trauma, or other emotional and behavioral challenges using a trauma informed approach.
- Emotional and intellectual maturity and stability.
- Knowledge of community resources and the ability to make referrals.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills- the ability to motivate others and to be culturally sensitive when developing rapport with youth/co-workers.
- Ability & willingness to do street canvassing.
- Valid driver's license.
QUALIFIED Candidates should email their cover letter and resume to:
Ms. Deneen M. Jackson, Director, Non-residential Services
Covenant House New Orleans
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.