16 Hurd Road
Position: Director of Information Technology
Reports to: Chief Technology Officer
Location: Brookline, MA
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Facing History and Ourselves is a global educational organization with offices across the US and internationally. We are a leading presence in inserting social responsibility into education and schools, and provide teachers with professional development, materials, lessons, and teaching methods to support their work. We are headquartered in Brookline, MA, with an annual budget of $30 million and a very large and active board.
The Opportunity; What You Should Expect:
We have 7 offices in the US and one each in London and Toronto. Our 200 staff work out of our offices, from home and remotely, and travel domestically and internationally. We have partnerships with organizations in Northern Ireland and South Africa, and have periodic and on-going consultants across the globe.
We have a robust and interactive website, blogs, and online learning tools. We utilize Salesforce, Paylocity, RedHen and other databases. We are on the Google platform for email, calendaring and document sharing, and use Zoom and Slack for internal communication. We support PC and Mac laptops and mobile devices, printers, copiers and office phones.
As the Director of Information Technology, you would be responsible for the day-to-day management and operations of Facing History’s IT Department and will help drive the planning and implementation of technology solutions to support staff in the organization’s strategic goals. You will coordinate and oversee projects relating to system development and equipment upgrades, and ensure that IT systems and IT engineers are effective and functioning within the limits of the budget, time and specifications of Facing History.
Who You Are; What We Are Looking For:
The Director of Information Technology must be very knowledgeable in computer systems, networking, and information security, and must possess a desire to keep up to date on IT trends. You have a solid technical background while being able to manage and motivate people and vendors. The ideal candidate will also be experienced in creating and implementing IT policies and systems that will meet organizational objectives.
Some Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Research new trends, technology, equipment, products and services and suggest changes to existing products or services to better aide the end user
- Update technology documentation including the Employee Handbook, IT Manual and Runbooks, and IT Policies
- Act as liaison for IT to the Cyber Security projects led by CTO
- Maintain and monitor Firewall/Intrusion detection systems in all offices
- Responsible for all purchasing, ordering and replacing of aging or defective hardware and software
- Maintains working relationships with vendors, third-party providers, IT contractors as necessary and including contract management
Platform Ownership and Maintenance
- Maintains primary ownership for:
- Directory Services – Responsible for management of Cloud-based Directory Services through JumpCloud
- Google Suite Applications including Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, Drive, Google Docs, and Sites
- Intranet – Responsible for helping to evaluate vendors for implementation of next generation internal Intranet
- Backups – Responsible for the management of various backup vendors including Spanning, iDrive, and Crashplan
- DNS Made Easy and GoDaddy for DNS and domain name management
- LastPass – Password management and sharing
- Samanage – IT Ticketing and Asset management system
- Zoom - Conference call and organization wide online meeting vendor management
- Assist in the management of other software platforms not directly owned by IT including Financial systems, HR packages, Library patron package, JIRA, SmartSheets, and Salesforce
· BA/BS degree in relevant field required; MS/MA is a plus
· Minimum 8 years' experience in the technology field
· Minimum 3 years' experience in leadership or management in an IT setting
· Experience in analysis, implementation and evaluation of IT systems and their specifications
· Experience managing both Apple and Windows based infrastructures
· Sound understanding of computer systems (hardware/software) and networking
· Experience in controlling IT budget
· Excellent organizational and leadership skills
· Outstanding communication abilities
· Exceptional focus on customer service and continuous improvement
· Experience in all phases of the development lifecycle
· Solid working knowledge of current security protocols and threats
· Available to travel
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) program with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance plan & a travel assistance plan, pre-tax Transit-pass program, flexible spending health care and dependent care accounts, 4 voluntary Aflac plans, limited free parking and a friendly work environment.
Facing History proudly values diversity. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Applications ONLY accepted online at careers.facinghistory.org. Job posted until filled.
Minimum Education Required