District of Columbia
The Program Associate provides executive support to the President’s Office with regards to strategic management of the organization, including outreach, development, budgeting, reporting and the daily operations of Internews. The Program Associate also provides support to the Senior VP Strategic Practice, Senior Policy Advisor on annual high priority initiatives related to advancing the Internews Strategic Framework.
As Internews is in an exciting phase of advancing our organizational learning and sharing tools, this position will also be a key member of the Knowledge Management team working with our global staff to discover new resources, share skills and solve problems.
You’re an ideal candidate for this position if you have extraordinary written and oral communication skills; great attention to detail and organizational capacity; a love for keeping things moving and on track; a commitment to learn; and the desire to help drive work that ensures access to trusted, quality information for human rights defenders, journalists, and marginalized people around the world. You’ll be doing all this with an amazing team of smart, kind, compassionate, curious colleagues who produce exceptional results and protect each other’s backs all at the same time.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Under the supervision of the President:
- Create first drafts of Board presentations, quarterly Board and staff memos, public presentations, policy papers, including conducting research and drafting correspondence (you need to be able to write really well, think critically, and be creative, even in PowerPoint)
- Track and draft responses for external correspondence, particularly cultivation of private funders, academic partners and all informational inquiries
- Draft and prepare materials for external meetings of the President, Senior VP Strategic Practice and Senior Policy Advisor; prepare tailored briefing materials, as necessary
- Coordinate special projects as assigned
- Provide staff and logistical support to biannual Board of Directors meetings, the Board Executive Committee and Task Forces as assigned
- Schedule meetings and manage schedules, as requested, for the President, the Senior VP Strategic Practice and the Senior Policy Advisor
- Manage the President’s office engagement with Salesforce, including inputting new contacts collected by the President, Senior VP Strategic Practice and the Senior Policy Advisor
- Under the supervision of the Senior VP Strategic Practice:
- Maintain work plans and contribute to activities supporting implementation and evolution of our Strategic Framework
- Work closely with and manage projects on the implementation of knowledge management systems
- With the Knowledge Manager, produce toolkits and other materials to disseminate program information within the organization (being a great communicator is more important than having a web background; we do really cool work that we love, and we want people inside and outside the organization to know about it. We can teach you the platforms)
- Train staff as necessary on the implementation of knowledge management systems and conduct User Experience exercises for relevant knowledge management initiatives (we work in more than 50 countries, so this is a great opportunity to meet amazing folks from all over the world)
- Working closely with the Senior Policy Advisor, support meeting requests and other public policy outreach opportunities.
- Serve as a liaison to all members of the President’s Office for non-senior staff. When requested by the President or Sr. VP Strategic Practice, meet with affiliated groups, students and interested individuals to educate them about Internews.
- Represent Internews at formal and informal networking events.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1-3 years office administration experience
- Experience supporting and working closely with executives
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Advanced-level Microsoft Office skills (particularly with MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments and projects
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- A good sense of humor
- University degree in a relevant field required
- Familiarity with media or development issues
- Non-profit experience
- Basic HTML/ CSS and/or WordPress experience
- Experience using project management tools (Trello, Asana, etc.)
- Language skills in one of the primary Internews languages (Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian)
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. From there, phone screenings will be conducted in order to determine 3-5 top finalists for interviews.
Minimum Education Required