3200 NE 125th St
Literacy Source partners with adults working to gain skills and education to create new opportunities for themselves, their families, and the community. As a non-profit community learning center, we envision and work towards an inclusive and equitable society providing education and opportunities for all adults. We provide free basic skills classes and one-on-one tutoring at our Learning Center in Lake City and in locations throughout the community.
We are hiring an ESOL instructor to teach the new Ready to Work class at the Neighborhood House High Point Center in West Seattle. Ready to Work is a comprehensive program providing opportunities for people with very limited English (ESOL levels 1-3) to work towards economic self-sufficiency. English language learning is supplemented with job placement services and ongoing skills training opportunities appropriate for the student’s English proficiency level.
Instruction and Student Support:
• Teach Level 3 Ready to Work ESOL class: Monday-Thursday, 9:30 – 12:30
• Create lesson plans aligned with the CCRS and use instructional methods geared toward the adult learner in a classroom setting
• Work with RTW instructional team to enhance and further develop the RTW curriculum to support emerging and ongoing needs of the students
• Integrate the teaching of employability and basic digital literacy skills into curriculum
• Maintain and express enthusiasm and commitment to helping students learn
• Administer assessments, track progress and provide feedback to students
• Work with students to establish goals and identify challenges or barriers to learning; provide support to help learners make progress in achieving literacy & employment goals
• Monitor student attendance in classes and work with case managers to follow-up with calls to absent students
• Build and maintain positive relationships with community partners
• Provide support and supervision to classroom volunteers as needed
• Report monthly attendance and student progress and track volunteer hours. Ensure accurate tracking and reporting of student and volunteer records through regular monitoring of data
▪ Participate in Literacy Source all-staff meetings and instructional team trainings
* At least two years of experience teaching lower-level ESOL and basic skills adults
* A degree in TESOL, Adult Education, Education, social work, or a related field.
* Demonstrated experience with using a wide range of appropriate teaching methods, instructional materials, and forms of assessment.
* Demonstrated ability to integrate technology to enhance instruction and familiarity with online learning management systems.
* Awareness of diverse learning styles and demonstrated experience in applying that knowledge to the development of teaching materials as well as the delivery of instruction.
* Flexibility, enthusiasm, and experience in furthering the educational development of adult learners from diverse backgrounds
* Ability to work independently and prioritize competing demands.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated competence in interpersonal relationships.
* A Masters degree in Adult Basic Education or related field.
▪ Experience working in a multi-cultural environment with immigrant adults
▪ Experience with curriculum development tailored to specific student groups and aligned to Common Core standards or CCRS.
▪ Experience with CASAS appraisal system.
▪ Knowledge and experience working successfully with adults with learning disabilities
This is a part-time, hourly position. The instructor is compensated for 12 teaching hours each week as well as an additional 9 hours for planning time, and additional hours for meetings as needed. Compensation is $22.38/hour.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter by e-mail to:
Lynn Livesley at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information – visit www.literacysource.org or call: 206.782.2050