Part Time Temporary
San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose
POSITION: Information Technology Trainer (Summer 2018)
LOCATION: San Francisco (2), Oakland (1), and San Jose (2)
Change the trajectory of young people’s lives by applying your knowledge of business technology and your mentoring abilities
Company Overview Genesys Works is a nonprofit organization that transforms the lives of underserved high school students through skills training, meaningful internships, and impactful relationships. We do this through a unique combination of intense summer training and a meaningful paid internship at leading corporations during their entire senior year. While the core of the Genesys Works program is the internship, we realize this is only the start of their professional and academic career.
Since it began in 2002 with its innovative model, Genesys Works has experienced tremendous success and growth. Our students are currently working in a significant number of Fortune 500 companies in five major US metropolitan areas.
Through this professional working experience, students realize first-hand that they can indeed thrive in a corporate environment and can achieve a much higher standard of living by seriously pursuing a professional career. With this knowledge and new-found confidence, our students are able to significantly redefine their long term goals and set plans to pursue them. In fact, 98% of Genesys Works’ alumni enroll into college immediately after high school.
IT Trainer Overview
As one of our summer IT trainers, you will be responsible for jump-starting the professional careers of high school seniors who work at our corporate partners. You will become a mentor they will never forget; the person who taught them that they can succeed in the corporate world.
During the eight-week summer training program, our trainers teach two groups of young professionals (ages 16-17) consisting of approximately 20-25 students each on MS Office Suite, project management, computer management and desktop support. Being a successful professional involves more than IT skills alone. Our trainers show students how to actually enter and succeed in the corporate environment by covering subjects such as developing confidence, customer service, effective communication skills, troubleshooting techniques, and understanding corporate culture. We encourage “real-life teaching" so that when students finish the Genesys Works training program, they are truly prepared for the next step in life.
We seek trainers who can lead, manage, motivate and mentor our young professionals.
The employment term will run from May 21 to August 1. Training begins on June 11.
It is expected that a qualified candidate will be paid up to $40 per hour. Work/training hours will generally be from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, five days per week.
Qualifications The ideal candidate would possess the following knowledge and abilities:
- Must have at least an intermediate level of knowledge with MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Strong understanding of IT Essentials and troubleshooting techniques.
- Prefer CompTIA A+ certification
- Strong understanding of computer hardware, software, and upgrade options
- Thorough knowledge of Windows 7 and 10 installations, disk partitioning, desktop configuration, settings, and shortcuts
- Knowledge and understanding of business technology best practices
- Knowledge of Windows network configuration and utilities: IP protocol, DNS, DHCP, ping, ipconfig
- Knowledge of cloud based corporate tools, including Google Apps, Office 365, and Salesforce
- Strong understanding of PMP tools and techniques with project management experience
- Must stay relevant and up to date on current tech trends and new technologies
- Experience training computer skills to large groups
- Ability to effectively teach and motivate high school seniors
- Must be able to adapt and model extreme professionalism
- Strong ability to engage all students in a corporate training room setting
- Experience working in corporate environments
- Strong customer service experience supporting desktops a plus
- Driven by strong ethics and a determination to make a positive impact on young lives
- Ability to function in a fast paced environment
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentation)
- Experience working or volunteering with youth programs
- This position reports to the Program Manager of each city
- Office is set in a corporate environment
- No travel required
- Background checks required
- Genesys Works is an equal opportunity employer
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume with a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about Genesys Works, visit our website at www.genesysworks.org/bayarea.