About the UIC Center for Literacy:
Our mission is to promote educational equity and community-based social capital through multigenerational literacy programming, research, and partnerships.
This position will be responsible for seeking, developing and securing grant funding and other funding sources to advance/assist with the planning and implementation of Center programs.
The Grants & Development Specialist will lead the grant seeking and funding application process. The position is also responsible for coordinating with and fostering relationships between the Center and the UIC Office of the Vice Chancellor for Advancement (OVCA).
Key Responsibilities / Duties:
- Participate in IRB related research projects, developing surveys and research methods to inform Center for Literacy research projects, programming and development needs.
- Survey, interview, and observe Center staff and participants to assess program needs.
- Research grants and funding sources; Lead research, writing, and submission of applications for funding.
- Support and maintain positive donor/funder/community partner relationships through coordinated engagement, solicitation and stewardship strategies and activities with the OVCA including: representing the Center at donor meetings, acknowledgement and recognition of donors, and reporting.
- Coordinate with appropriate UIC departments/units in preparing budgets, submission approvals, and reporting.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive knowledge of center programming, staff, and practices.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to acknowledge, recognize and provide reports on CFL donors and gift funds. Coordinate with OVCA stewardship staff to ensure that stewardship efforts and materials are aligned.
- Coordinate with the OVCA and University of Illinois Foundation (UIF) to ensure accuracy of gifts received; generate and verify donor recognition lists.
- Lead writing, preparation, and production of communication materials for donors and prospects, including reports, articles, newsletters, and other printed and electronic materials. Coordinate with OVCA and College of Education Communications staff to ensure that communications are aligned.
- Coordinate with other units to maintain up-to-date development/ alumni relations presence on the College's website and social media.
- Assist and manage preparation and coordination of meetings and special events, including pre- and post-event correspondence with attendees and vendors, assist in organization and execution of special events including guest lists, registration, and assembly of meeting programs and materials.
- Collaborate with Director of Research, Data & Evaluation Manager, and Innovations Manager to continuously inform development and grant needs, proposals, and submissions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree or higher, with a major in social sciences, public relations, communications, nonprofit management, or other related field AND one year of professional grant writing or fundraising work experience with responsibility for developing and implementing campaigns or leading application process.
- Knowledge of research concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, adept knowledge of electronic communications, social media, and website tools strongly preferred.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with high degree of accuracy and attention to details while meeting deadlines required.
- Maintaining a high level of professionalism while developing and maintaining effective relationships with high-end donors, alumni, faculty, staff, students, and vendors.
- Ability and willingness to attend and assist in weekend and evening events required.
- Ability to work independently and within a collaborative team environment required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and basic computer skills.
- Three to four years of professional fundraising work experience with responsibility for developing and implementing fundraising campaigns.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.