190 Cummins Highway
Role & Responsibilities
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing CS department at a school deeply committed to CS education. The AP Computer Science teacher will be responsible for preparing all 11th grade Brooke High scholars (some 70 students in 2018-2019) for the AP exams, with most taking AP CS A. Every student in the course will have already taken a full-year Java development course in grade 9, and a full-year Arduino development class in grade 10.
Every Brooke High teacher is also responsible for serving as an advisor. Advisors serve as student mentors, parent communication liaisons, and college counselors for a small single gender group of students. Advisories meet twice daily; each day begins with a short check-in and ends with a 25-minute advisory session. Additionally, advisories engage in weekly classes designed around college information and character education.
Teachers’ hours are 7:45-4:00 daily, with the student academic day running from 8:00-2:05 on Mondays and 8:00-3:45 on other days. Teachers may elect to lead an after-school extra-curricular club or coach a sport for an additional stipend. In 2018, teacher PD will begin on July 16th, and the school year will begin in late August.
A successful Brooke High School AP Computer Science Teacher will ensure that all Brooke scholars feel challenged and known.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Deep content knowledge of computer science
- Minimum of two (2) years of teaching experience as a classroom teacher (excluding student teaching, practicum, or international teaching experience)
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with students, parents, and colleagues
- Commitment to ensuring academic success for all students
- Shared dedication to Brooke’s mission and organizational values
- Excellent teamwork, communication, initiative, urgency, and positivity
Minimum Education Required