School Social Worker, The Highbridge Green School
- Job posted by The Women's Housing and Economic Development Corporation
Details: Competitive salary based on experience.
The Highbridge Green School, 200 West 167th Street
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco) is a community development organization founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning, sustainable, affordable homes – but our work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be successful, affordable housing must be anchored in strong communities that residents can be proud of. WHEDco’s mission is to give the South Bronx access to all the resources that create thriving neighborhoods – from high-quality early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food, cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See www.whedco.org for more information.
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco follows the requirements of the New York Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
WHEDco seeks a School Social Worker to join its Family Support Department. The Family Support team provides a support system to thousands of families each year, providing counseling services and connecting them to other service providers, community and government resources and emergency food assistance. The team consists of social workers and case managers located in both WHEDco’s main offices and in partner schools in the communities WHEDco serves. The population to be served is students and their families in neighboring public schools.
Specifically, the School Social Worker will manage a caseload of clients and provide a range of clinical and other services to students and families in a public school setting at the Highbridge Green School in the Bronx.
This is a year-round position.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide mental health services to students and their families in the following areas: antisocial behavior, conflict resolution, peer mediation, family conflicts, learning difficulties, substance abuse counseling, domestic violence, crisis intervention, and group work; make appropriate referrals to outside agencies;
- Provide services in three modalities -- individual, family and group;
- Communicate fluently with students and families in English and Spanish;
- In collaboration with School administrators, Parent/Community outreach and the Family Support and Youth Development staff, plan and implement peer support groups and workshops for parents/families, and conduct home visits as deemed necessary;
- Maintain client files and prepare reports;
- Any and all additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Vice President.
- LMSW or LCSW + 2-3 years’ experience in clinical services, case management, advocacy, youth services and child care – preferably in a community and/or job training environment;
- Must be Bilingual (English/Spanish);
- Two or more years of clinical and case management/counseling experience should be within a multi-disciplinary setting;
- Comfortable working independently yet able to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders and partners.
Excellent benefits and competitive salary based on experience.
Excellent benefits. WHEDco is proud to offer affordable comprehensive health insurance and up to six weeks of paid parental leave for eligible staff.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Must be Bilingual (English/Spanish);
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply send a cover letter and resume to one of the following:
Please type “School Social Worker” in the subject line.
Mail: WHEDco, 50 East 168th Street, Bronx, NY 10452
Attn: Doxene Roberts, VP, Family Support and Housing Services