College Success Counselor - College Access Center
Details: Annual salary range is negotiable, depending on experience. New Settlement offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 401(k).
1512 Townsend Ave.
New Settlement Apartments’ College Access Center seeks a College Success Counselor. The College Access Center provides one-to-one educational counseling services and targeted workshops focused on college options, in a community-based setting, to 1,400+ students each year. The Center’s purpose is (a) to broaden awareness of and focus options for post-secondary education among youth in our community, and (b) to actively support our students’ access to and success in college – through college graduation.
The full-time Success Counselor will:
· Advise college students in the areas of academic standing, major and course selection, financial aid concerns and requirements, adjustment to the college environment, balance of school and work, transfer to baccalaureate degree programs, college policies and procedures, graduation requirements, planning for post-college careers and continued development of independence.
· Build strong and authentic relationships with students attending various post-secondary institutions to provide them with personalized guidance and coaching on academic and non-academic issues that may prevent them from persisting through college.
· Develop and implement curricula for workshops and events focused on topics of relevance to first-generation college students, such as academic engagement and personal leadership.
· Build partnerships and effective relationships with college administrative, career services, financial aid, and other offices to advocate for students and assist them in reaching their goals.
· Track, evaluate and report on student and program performance for on-going program improvement and growth.
· Stay current on the latest trends in college access and success.
· Demonstrate commitment to leadership development, community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change
· Other duties as requested
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Bachelor’s degree required;
· Strong commitment to strengthening a program and an environment that supports the academic achievement and access to higher education of youth and adults of low income, immigrants and others who will be the first in their families to attend college;
· Experience advising, mentoring, and/or counseling with young people of diverse backgrounds;
· Prior experience in higher education a plus;
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a team;
· Valid NYS driver’s license, with at least two years driving preferred;
· Experience counseling students on post-secondary education options, knowledge of U.S. higher education system, especially New York City and State, familiarity with financial aid and college application process, and/or experience networking and building organization relationships, a plus;
· Bilingual preferred
OVERVIEW OF NEW SETTLEMENT APARTMENTS: New Settlement Apartments is a not-for-profit housing & community service organization, located in the southwest Bronx, with a 27 year track record of active commitment to neighborhood revitalization and community development- including working toward excellence in community public schools. An integral part of the progressive housing philosophy embraced by New Settlement is that ‘housing is not just bricks and mortar’. Our mission is not only to rebuild and maintain a sizeable portion of the housing stock in this neighborhood, but also to support the rebuilding of its social capital. New Settlement currently provides year-round educational, cultural and recreational programs and social services to 13,500 youth and adults who live in the surrounding area. EEO/AA
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to <email@example.com>, email subject line: “CAC Success Counselor.” No faxes, please. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; this position is available immediately. EEO/AA