145 9th Street
The Jewish Film Institute (JFI) is the premier curatorial voice for Jewish film and media worldwide and a leading arts and culture organization in the Bay Area. As the presenter of the world-‐renowned San Francisco Jewish Film Festival – the world’s first and largest Jewish film festival – JFI catalyzes and inspires communities in San Francisco and around the world to expand their understanding of Jewish life and culture through film, media, and dialogue. In addition to its signature summer Festival, the Jewish Film Institute presents year-round live events in the San Francisco Bay Area including an annual WinterFest, Mitzvah screenings in senior communities and at San Quentin and a host of online content initiatives, including: JFI On Demand (a curated streaming service of films from the organization’s 38-year archive) and free Monthly Online Shorts that have garnered over 2.2 million views worldwide to date. In addition to its exhibition services, JFI also supports filmmakers working with Jewish themes through its yearlong Filmmaker Residency program, Jerusalem Film Workshop and Festival Awards.
Position Overview: JFI is seeking an experienced Development Director to partner with our Executive Director, Board of Directors, and management team to raise our national visibility, promote our programs, and build our base of support. The Development Director reports to the Executive Director, provides leadership for our Development team, and is part of the Senior Management team.
Key assets are in place to support the Development Director’s success. JFI has a talented and experienced management team, a new Strategic Plan, and an entrepreneurial and dynamic approach to achieving our goals. JFI co‐owns our building, the Ninth Street Independent Film Center, along with two other leading media arts organization in San Francisco. The rebranding of the organization as the Jewish Film Institute in 2015 as the umbrella organization for all our programs has enabled us to grow our resources for our diverse initiatives. We have clear messaging, a new website, and an excellent Marketing and Communications team dedicated to programmatic and institutional marketing. We have a strong foundation of donors, membership program and seek to expand that base in the years to come.
Fundraising and Development
• Working closely with the Executive Director and Development Committee of the Board of Directors, design, implement, and lead a strategic development program to attract additional sources of support.
• Develop and implement strategies for foundation and corporate support, including grants, in-kind and cash sponsorships and/or partnerships.
• Design and implement an annual campaign for individual giving; expand membership program and donor prospects.
• Coordinate and support efforts by the Executive Director, Board Members, and other volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward current and potential donors and funders
• conduct prospect research and provide solicitation training and support.
• Manage JFI’s membership program consisting of more than 800 individual donors.
• Coordinate and manage cultivation and stewardship events.
• Coordinate two direct mail appeals per year, regular donor communications, and the production of development materials.
• Prepare annual fundraising plans, fundraising projections and regularly track progress toward goals.
• Work with program managers to understand funding needs, create case statements, identify potential funders, develop and submit proposals and budgets for funding, and complete grant reporting.
• Coordinate with Finance Department on procedures and policies for tracking and reporting development activities.
• Work with Marketing and Communications manager to develop and implement strategy to support visibility and fundraising goals.
• Manage the development database (Donor Perfect) and maintain donor acknowledgement program and fulfillment of benefits.
• Prepare and manage the Development Department expense budget.
• Hire, train, and supervise Development Department staff.
• Write grants and manage additional grant writers when needed.
• Track developments in philanthropy; engage with other senior development professionals across the philanthropic sector to learn about, assess and adopt best practices in financial resource and donor development.
• Collaborate with the Communications Manager to develop and implement communications, marketing, and public relations strategies that support and enhance our programmatic impact and fundraising goals.
• Oversee the execution of our “brand”, ensuring that programmatic and institutional communication and print and online collateral are consistent with our brand.
• Work with the Communications Manager to oversee online strategies, ensuring that our web site supports our goals and brand. Support social media strategy and growth as a major organizational communication tool.
• Minimum of 7+ years experience of demonstrated success as a development/ professional, with experience in major gifts, grants, and corporate support.
• Passion for JFI’s mission.
• Goal‐oriented campaign strategist who can create and execute a multi-faceted vision and plan for increased financial resource development results.
• Track record of having raised significant funds for a non‐profit organization.
• Grant writing or proposal-writing experience.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build trust and rapport with a range of stakeholders including Board Members, funders and donors, clients and staff.
• Excellent communication skills; articulate, with proven ability to write effectively and speak persuasively.
• Superior organizational, analytical and strategic thinking skills.
• Demonstrated leadership abilities and ability to work effectively in a team.
• Management and supervisory experience preferred.
• Impeccable integrity, judgment, and discretion.
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
• Knowledge of and experience with the Bay Area Jewish philanthropic and Arts philanthropic community preferred.
• Availability for some evening and weekend events.
To Apply: Please submit your resume with cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com
Minimum Education Required