Special Education Teacher (YouthBuild Public Charter School)
- Job posted by YouthBuild Public Charter School
3220 16th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
YouthBuild Public Charter School (YouthBuild PCS) is an alternative high school for young people seeking to transform their lives by re-engaging in their education in a non-traditional school environment. YouthBuild PCS prepares students for post-secondary education and the workplace by offering, in English and Spanish, academic, vocational and workforce development programs. YouthBuild PCS believes that service to the community is an essential part of the transformative process. Therefore, students serve their community through volunteer projects and by creating housing for low-income residents in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
We are seeking a special education teacher to begin immediately. A special education teacher at YouthBuild PCS is responsible for creating a supportive, empowering learning environment. A special education teacher’s specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with colleagues to develop and deliver specialized instruction in the classroom designed to help students meet grade-level standards and achieve personal learning goals
- Utilizing strong content knowledge to effectively present enticing and rigorous Common Core-aligned lessons
- Developing Individualized Learning Plans (IEPs) for students on assigned caseload
- Ensuring the records for each identified student are up to date and well-organized, and contain necessary progress notes and assessments
- Modifying assessments and classwork for students with special needs
- Administer and develop subject specific assessments for the purpose of assessing student competency levels and/or developing IEPs
- Assessing student progress against IEP goals, learning targets, objectives, expectations, and/or goals for the purpose of providing feedback to students, parents, and administration
- Tracking and monitor assessment results in order to regularly refine teaching practices and design differentiated lesson plans
- Communicating with families regarding service delivery and student progress
- Serve as a member of a multidisciplinary team as appropriate
- Establish and implement effective classroom management procedures, and maintain a productive, safe, and focused learning environment
- Other duties as assigned
Ideal candidates will have the following education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Concentration or advanced degree in special education preferred.
- Two or more years of experience teaching the subject area they will lead, preferably including knowledge of and experience with the revised GED
- A demonstrated ability to provide engaging and developmentally appropriate instruction while maintaining strong classroom culture
- A commitment to regularly assessing student progress and using data to strengthen student performance
- Demonstrated ability and experience to engage the interest of adult learners and work with diverse adult learners, including those with special needs
- Familiarity with youth development principles and alternative high schools
- Strong cultural competency skills, including excellent ability to communicate with a diverse population
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click here to apply to the Special Education Teacher position.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
YouthBuild PCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not allow discrimination with respect to employment or any of the terms or conditions of employment because of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, marital status or religion.