Legal Fellowship Candidate
1060 Howard Street
Swords to Plowshares seeks candidates to sponsor for Equal Justice Works, Skadden, or law school sponsored public interest fellowships.
Swords to Plowshares is a nationally-recognized nonprofit serving veterans in need in the San Francisco Bay Area. Founded in 1974, Swords to Plowshares is a community-based not-for-profit organization that provides free legal assistance, counseling and case management, employment and training, and housing to veterans in the San Francisco Bay Area. We promote and protect the rights of veterans through advocacy, public education, and partnerships with local, state, and national entities. We believe that war causes wounds and suffering that last beyond the battlefield; our mission is to heal the wounds, to restore dignity, hope, and self-sufficiency to all veterans in need, and to prevent and end homelessness and poverty among veterans.
Our legal services include free assistance to veterans who seek Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) healthcare, disability compensation, and pension; we also specialize in military discharge reviews and upgrades for veterans who received less than fully Honorable discharges. We also leverage our direct legal services for policy advocacy and through innovative programming. We are a small, passionate team seeking candidates to sponsor for both Equal Justice Works and Skadden fellowships. Applicants are encouraged to propose project ideas. We seek someone who is dynamic, creative, and highly motivated.
A successful fellowship candidate will:
- Possess superior research skills; strong academic record; impeccable written and verbal communication skills.
- Have demonstrated experience with or sensitivity to the needs of the homeless veteran population, veterans with disabilities, and/or particularly “hard to reach / hard to serve” populations.
- Possess patience, creativity, attention to detail, excellent organizational skills.
- Have a demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and remain calm under pressure.
- Be committed to the mission of Swords to Plowshares.
- Become a member of the State Bar of California (other state bar membership may qualify, if it satisfies VA rules for attorney representation and meets eligibility requirements for admission to the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims).
Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Women, people of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQ individuals are also encouraged to apply. Please note that Swords to Plowshares will make reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities.
To learn more about Equal Justice Works post-graduate legal fellowships, please visit http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/post-grad/equal-justice-works-fellowships. To learn more about Skadden post-graduate legal fellowships, please visit http://www.skaddenfellowships.org/.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
(No calls please)
Please send a (1) cover letter detailing your interest in Swords to Plowshares along with (2) a resume, (3) academic transcript, (4) writing sample, and (5) list of three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include “Fellowship Candidate” in the subject line.
The deadline for applications is Friday, June 22, 2018.
Swords to Plowshares is an inclusive employer and we are proud of the rich diversity among our staff. Please join us!