- Reports to: Vice President, Gun Violence Prevention
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Gun Violence Prevention
- Position classification: Exempt, full time
The Senior Policy Analyst for Gun Violence Prevention works with the team to lead original research and writing on issues related to gun violence at the national, state, and local level. The position requires strong research, writing, editing, and management skills. Familiarity with the issue of gun violence is preferred.
- Manage projects related to gun violence prevention policy, including conducting original research, policy analysis, and translating findings for a broader audience.
- Author reports, issue briefs, columns, infographics, and other policy products.
- Help lead the development, implementation, management, production, and distribution of products and assist in the generation of policy ideas.
- Research legislative issues as they pertain to gun violence prevention policy at the federal and state level.
- Work with other American Progress teams—including Criminal Justice Reform, Race and Ethnicity, and Generation Progress—on the intersection of gun violence and other issues.
- Participate in coalition and advocacy efforts.
- Assist in the coordination and planning of meetings and events.
- Maintain and expand expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Assist in supervising junior staff with research tasks as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Advanced degree in public policy or a related field is preferred.
- Three to five years of professional experience.
- Strong skills in writing, analysis, presentation, and communication.
- Ability to understand policy issues and to communicate them effectively.
- Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multitask.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work on a team.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Prior policy experience on the gun violence prevention issue is preferred.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and budgeted for $62,000. American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.