Community Engagement Specialist: Homelessness and Housing (AmeriCorps VISTA position, August 2018-August 2019)
- Job posted by United Way of Greater New Haven
Details: Living Stipend of $14,665
370 James Street
United Way of Greater New Haven (UWGNH) brings people and organizations together to create solutions to Greater New Haven’s most pressing challenges in the areas of Education, Financial Stability, and Health. We tackle issues that cannot be solved by any one group working alone.
We are seeking a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA member to participate in our efforts with the Coordinated Access Network to combat and end homelessness. This AmeriCorps VISTA position, with the Community Impact Team, will work to engage landlords with the housing system and build a network to connect homeless residents with services that can help them maintain housing. They will also be assisting with engaging consumers of the system, both staff and clients, to help understand what improvements can be made.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in reaching out to the community and engaging organizations/businesses/faith groups/residents and passionate about helping people in need and promoting community philanthropy.
Reporting Structure: Reports to Jason Martinez, Director of Community Engagement
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop and implement plans to engage landlords in housing homeless members of the community.
- Survey clients of the system to assess how well services are work and report to the CAN what improvements can be made.
- Work with partners to establish a notification system for housing stock, services, and other opportunities that could assist those seeking to exit homelessness.
- Be present and visible in the community and with partners (organizations, volunteers) representing UWGNH at a wide range of community events.
- Engage and manage volunteers to help execute the organization’s community impact work.
- Collaborate effectively within the organization, working cross-functionally with all departments.
- Establish effective and efficient processes that align department priorities with greater organization goals, strategy, and mission.
- Assist in identifying a way to engage frontline staff in the CAN to ensure information regarding policies, procedures, etc are properly communicated.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to work with diverse staff and groups of volunteers.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a clear, 'on-target' writing style.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain positive and engaging relationships.
- Proficient with Google and MS Office.
- Proactive and strategic thinker with the ability to work both individually and collaboratively.
- Creative and result-oriented self-starter, willing to learn.
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation preferred.
- Must be able to lift 25-50 lbs.
Ideally, the successful candidate will be:
- Personally committed to advancing UWGNH’s values, mission, goals and programs.
- A flexible, reliable, creative, outgoing and energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities; a self-starter and finisher.
- A superior communicator who shares information readily and concisely, and listens as well as gives advice.
- A team player who inspires collaboration and functions decisively.
- Emotionally mature and self-confident, with a sense of humor in order to maintain balance and perspective.
Annual Living Stipend of $14,665
Education Award of $5,800
AmeriCorps VISTA Health Benefits: https://www.vistacampus.gov/sites/default/files/VISTA_Health_Benefits_FAQs_11-2017.pdf
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates can view the position at:
To apply, create a profile on the My AmeriCorps Portal (https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do) and search for this VISTA position.