Details: Per Diem rate commensurate with experience
29-46 Northern Boulevard
Long Island City
NYC Outward Bound Schools www.nycoutwardbound.org is a nonprofit organization that partners with New York City public schools to help them become places where everyone is challenged and supported to achieve at his/her highest possible levels and where academics, community and character all count. NYC Outward Bound Schools operates a network of schools in partnership with the NYC Department of Education. These schools are all based on the national model of Expeditionary Learning. We now have eleven schools with at least one in each of the five boroughs of NYC.
Instructors this fall will work a variable schedule in wilderness camp and urban settings from August through the end of November, including some weekends. Paid training will be provided.
The four course types most common to the spring are:
- Crew Expedition Fieldwork programs are generally 3-5 days and include backpacking, high and low challenge courses and facilitating activities targeting conflict resolution and communication.
- Urban Expeditions are generally 3-4 days and involve facilitating participants in a cultural exploration of NYC
- School Based programs take place in NYC Public Schools and involve working with students and teachers
- Adventure & Team-Building programs are 1 -3 day programs for students and/or teachers that can involve high and low challenge activities, climbing on our outdoor climbing wall and/or team building activities
Instructors should have a commitment to working with urban youth and improving public education
Essential Functions and Duties
Teaching, Facilitating and Supervising Students
- Sequence activities that are appropriate for the group based on an assessment of group skills, abilities, development stage, goals, program objectives and social cultural needs
- Recognize the inherent risks involved in each activity and continually assess and adjust programming accordingly
- Understand and recognize common group dynamics
- Provide appropriate opportunities for participants to identify and reflect upon their experiences
- Facilitate a learning environment that incorporates emotional, physical, social and cultural domains of safety
Logistical and Site Support
- Practice all national and local operating procedures and conduct activities according to the policies, procedures and practices that guide the program plan
Knowledge and Skills
- Medical Certification: Current First Aid / CPR and Wilderness Advanced First Aid or Wilderness First Responder Certification strongly preferred
- Valid Driver’s License and must be 21 to be eligible to drive vehicles
- Department Of Education Background Check will be required
- Instructors must be able to fulfill the Core Competencies listed below
Instructor Core Competencies
- Understand and practice Outward Bound (OB) methodology and experiential education.
- Articulate Outward Bound philosophy, history and objectives.
Instructors will have the ability to:
- Design course activities based on the assessment of individual and group needs
- Engage in a variety of teaching styles
- Present information in coherent and engaging progression
- Assist students in transferring OB experiences and lessons
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
Instructors will have the ability to:
- Demonstrate and facilitate effective communication and feedback skills with staff and students.
- Assess and address individual and group physical and emotional needs, motivate and counsel to promote individual and interdependent competence.
- Show respect and compassion for others and create an emotionally safe environment for students and staff.
Risk Management Skills
- Maintain, as a minimum, current Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA) and CPR certifications and training to manage anaphylactic emergencies.
- Demonstrate the ability to anticipate and manage potential hazards, both emotional and physical.
- Demonstrate proficiency in managing all “risk” activities as demanded by the terrain, the student population and the weather.
- Have knowledge of and adhere to all local operating procedures, safety policies and emergency procedures.
- Demonstrate sound judgment and the ability to manage a group effectively under stressful conditions and in crisis situations.
- Demonstrate proficiency in managing a variety of potentially challenging group behaviors.
General Outdoor Skills
Instructors must have personal experience in the activities they will be responsible for students and experience in extended wilderness expeditions.
Instructors will be proficient in:
- Leave No Trace (LNT) practices.
- Navigation, search and rescue.
- Use and maintenance of all applicable equipment.
- Back country sanitation, hygiene and nutritional needs.
- Instructors should have a working knowledge of local natural history, flora and fauna.
- Instructors are required to participate in all activities on course and maintain ample energy, strength and focus to assist students with physical and emotional obstacles.
- Instructors must know their own strengths, limitations and needs, and can productively manage personal stress.
- Instructors must have the ability to assess the needs of co-workers, provide training and evaluate constructively.
- Instructors must attend appropriate staff training or equivalent orientations prior to supervising students in the field.
Education and Work Experience:
- Experience leading youth on wilderness or urban expeditions is preferred.
- Experience with non-profits serving urban youth is strongly desired.
Health expense reimbursement program, three meals a day while on course, seasonal housing (depending on availability), eligible for Pro Purchase pricing from several outdoor brands
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via the link provided above.
NYC Outward Bound Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin or disability.
No phone calls please. We appreciate all responses, but due to the high volume of resumes received, we can only contact those applicants whose qualifications best match the position requirements