1016 Lincoln Blvd.
Outward Bound California seeks an enthusiastic, mission-driven Development Officer who will be a key player on our four-person Fund Development Team, as well as a cross-department collaborator working most closely with Communications and Finance. The Development Officer reports to the Chief Development Officer and secures funds for the organization throughout California by fulfilling the interests and passions of our major donors and providing them with giving opportunities. This position will ensure that our best donors are retained as ongoing supporters to the organization and are upgraded in their giving levels and involvement. The person in this position will be responsible for growing our donor relations program and must give keen attention to stewardship and donor appreciation. The role is ideal for someone looking to make their mark in a dynamic and growing statewide organization.
Who You Are
- Passionate about OBCA’s mission.
- Proactive self-starter who is solution-focused and flexible.
- Strong organizer with high attention to detail and an ability to prioritize tasks and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Compassionate and effective communicator.
- Flexible and adaptable, sense of humor a must!
- Independent worker and cooperative team member.
- Excellent written and verbal communicator.
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, & PowerPoint) and G Suite (Gmail, Docs, Drive and Calendar)
- Familiar and comfortable using Salesforce as prime CRM tool.
- Comfortable giving and receiving positive and constructive feedback.
- Thoughtful and discreet in handling confidential and sensitive donor information.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree and minimum of three years of experience in major gifts fundraising, with progressive responsibility and a proven track record of securing visits with prospective donors, and soliciting, closing, and stewarding major gifts in the $10,000+ range.
- Enthusiastic about taking occasional field visits to the High Sierras, Joshua Tree, Southern California and throughout the Bay Area to better understand the OBCA coursework we do throughout the year.
- Available and willing for regular travel within Northern California as well as occasional travel to other areas of California, particularly Los Angeles.
- Availability for some weekend and evening responsibilities.
- Comfortable sitting or standing at a desk or computer for 80% of time.
Bonus if you...
- An alum of Outward Bound or other wilderness expeditionary experience.
- Experienced working on a capital campaign for a nonprofit.
- Familiar with San Francisco Bay Area philanthropic and nonprofit communities.
- Experienced in working with Bay Area and California Corporations/Businesses
- Involved with or familiar with AFP or other fundraising professional organizations.
- Manage a portfolio consisting of existing individual major donors with capacity to give $10,000+, as well as potential major donors from among the organization’s existing donor base.
- Meet or exceed an annual fundraising goal of $500,000
- Responsible for moves of each individual donor in the portfolio, including strategy, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Determine whether each prospect has the capacity for and interest in giving $10,000+.
- Create individual goals for each donor/prospect in the portfolio based on the donor’s history of giving and knowledge of that donor’s potential.
- Create a plan for each donor/prospect that will serve as a foundational communication and marketing plan for each person on the caseload. Execute these plans and on a timely basis.
- Conceive of and implement 3-4 intimate major donor cultivation events per year, in partnership with the Events Manager, including host/co-host recruitment, program design, and invite list definition; conduct targeted follow up on invitations; work with hosts to increase attendance; attend events; conduct follow up outreach.
- Expand and grow donor support and attendance at annual Circle Up! gala.
- Help to secure corporate sponsorship for City Skyline Challenge and Circle Up! gala.
- Work with program staff and the communications department to secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and create offers, proposals and asks that will be used with portfolio donors to secure gifts and report back on how their giving is making a difference.
- Perform other major donor activities as may be required, including entry of moves and touches in Salesforce and running reports that accurately reflect portfolio activity and performance.
- Meet or exceed mutually agreed upon goals and benchmarks on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Be a visible presence at Outward Bound events such as alumni gatherings, volunteer days, the annual all-staff meeting, Circle Up! spring gala and the City Skyline Challenge, Outward Bound California’s signature fall fundraiser.
- Participate in other duties as assigned
Outward Bound California is an equal opportunity employer and works to include diversity among its staff. Outward Bound California values the inclusion and collaboration among employees of diverse backgrounds and experiences. Outward Bound California prohibits discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable state or federal law. Outward Bound California also promotes respect for all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.
- Full-Time, Exempt, Salaried position.
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
- A competitive benefits package, including comprehensive health insurance with generous employer contribution, Flexible Spending Account, Paid Time Off (PTO), and 401(k) plan with employer match.
- This position will be located at our administrative offices in the Tides Thoreau Center, in the heart of The Presidio in San Francisco, CA.
- Highly energetic and supportive work environment at a mission-driven organization.
- Opportunities for professional development.
- ProDeal, an opportunity to purchase outdoor gear at a discounted price.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter online at: https://www.outwardboundcalifornia.org/connect/careers/administrative-positions/development-officer/