Details: Part-time seasonal (approximately 20 hr/wk) 2:00PM-6:00PM
660 Lombard Street
Agency & Program Description:
Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center (TEL HI) is a nonprofit organization which provides services and advocacy for residents of the greater San Francisco community. TEL HI provides opportunities for individuals and families to enrich their quality of life. Focusing on low- to moderate-income youth, families, and seniors, we create and strengthen community bonds, provide health and wellness programs, and broaden education and cultural experiences.
The goal of the After School Academy (ASA) Program is to foster the academic, physical and social-emotional well-being of elementary school youth (K-5). The program provides developmentally appropriate curriculum, which emphasizes academic success and enrichment through academic assistance, social development, recreation, art and a wide variety of educational enrichment activities.
Under the direction of the Program Director the Program Leader will organize and provide tutoring support along with supplemental activities to further program participants’ education at school at Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center. They will also coordinate communications, resources, and personnel to meet students needs and assure smooth and efficient project operations and activities as well as train and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Design, create and implement enrichment activities that will support social and academic progress. Enrichment activities include (but are not limited to) arts, science, theater, media, recreation, music, dance, gardening, community service and youth leadership.
· Lead activities, learning games, and small group tutoring.
· Ensure a safe and positive environment that allows for healthy development, growth and learning.
· Foster and maintain appropriate relationships with children, their families, and staff.
· Work to increase academic achievement through providing academic support, homework assistance, and individualized tutoring.
· Observe and evaluate children’s needs and progress. Follow-up with appropriate action including discussions with staff and communication with parents.
· Participate in individual supervision, staff meetings, and organization trainings.
· Maintain the cleanliness and organization of space utilized by program.
· Support fundraising efforts on an as-needed basis to strengthen and sustain TEL HI programming.
· Additional responsibilities as assigned.
· Experience working with youth.
· Understanding of youth development philosophy and current best practices.
· Bilingual candidates in Cantonese/English or Spanish/English are strongly encouraged to apply.
Education and Experience:
The qualified candidates will possess any combination equivalent to a high school diploma supplemented by college-level course work in child development or related field and two years experience in an educational program providing direct service to youths. Teaching experience is preferred.
Interested applicants should e-mail a job-specific cover letter and resume to:
Samson Lin, Site Coordinator
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual candidates in Cantonese/English or Spanish/English are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required