Afterschool Program Leader - STEAM (Science,Tech,Engineering,Arts,Math) Specialist
- Job posted by Boys & Girls Clubs of Medford & Somerville
Details: $13 - $14/hour based on education and youth experience.
30 Forest Street
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Medford and Somerville (BGCMS) is seeking a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) Specialist/Program Leader for its Medford Boys & Girls Club.
The STEAM Specialist will have multiple skills, will be youth friendly, and candidates MUST be capable and confident to academically support and tutor K - 8th grade students. They will be reliable, responsible, patient, professional and consistent. Under the direction of the Site Director, the STEAM Specialist will academically support specific grade levels, coordinate and implement enrichment/recreation activities that provide opportunities for students to succeed, develop leadership skills, and foster a growth mindset. The STEAM Specialist/Program Leader will work as a team member to implement a fun, safe, and productive space for youth in the after-school program.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities)
- Utilizes curriculum resources effectively to develop STEAM programming that supports the success of all members.
- Trains and manage volunteers on best practices and programming expectations.
- Leads all STEAM initiatives and creates and maintains a culture where STEAM is supported and valued.
- Gains a strong understanding of members’ interests and plans activities that help to encourage and expose members to STEAM.
- Creates academic accountability systems that help members build personal education responsibility
- Develops effective activity centers for diverse learners
- Ensures compliance with Club Policy and procedures, maintain a clean and safe environment of assigned program area.
- Does safety checks of assigned program area, accurately tracking and monitoring the use of all equipment and supplies
- Ensure a team based work environment by communicating effectively and positively with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, and other community partners.
- Work with colleagues on assigned committee to move organizational efforts forward. Committees include: Volunteerism, Club Culture, Parent & School Engagement.
- Create and run a family engagement activity workshop.
- Develop and run an activity club.
- Make recommendations regarding members’ needs, program ideas and facility needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Holds a minimum Bachelor’s Degree in education, applied science or social sciences.
- Demonstrated experience working with youth.
- Demonstrated experience in instruction and classroom management.
- Willingness to work in a continuously evolving environment.
- Proficient in basic computer skills and use of basic Microsoft applications and Google Drive, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Speaking proficiency in Spanish or Haitian Creole strongly preferred.
- First Aid/CPR certification preferred.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Medford and Somerville will recruit and select persons in all positions to ensure a diverse and inclusive climate without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, color, political affiliation, creed, national origin, marital status, or any other status as protected by federal, state, and local laws. Boys & Girls Clubs of Medford and Somerville welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodations for interviews and for service upon request.
BGCMS offers training in youth development, child development, and more. Part-time employees are eligible to accrue paid sick time in the state of Massachusetts.
Level of Language Proficiency
Ability to speak, read, and write in English is required. Ability to speak, read, and/or write in additional languages is preferred, especially Haitian Creole, Portuguese (Brazilian), and Spanish.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to Director of Operations, Laura Perry, at firstname.lastname@example.org.