Director of Engagement and Delivery, Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data
- Job posted by United Nations Foundation
1750 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
The Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data, hosted at UNF, is a fast-growing, dynamic international partnership bringing together over 300 different organizations including governments, UN agencies, private companies, civil society organizations, and many others. We make connections and broker partnerships to address the problems of gaps in data production, poor data use, access, quality, and to work with stakeholders to fully harness the new opportunities of the data revolution in the service of sustainable development. We aim to link and align action, capacities and resources across geographies, sectors and data communities.
At the heart of what we do is brokering relationships to allow our partners to achieve their objectives and collaborate to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. As we move into the next phase of our development as a network, we are looking for a dynamic, flexible, empathetic and politically savvy person who can help to bring our partners together to build big, impactful partnerships to meet country needs and drive change at country and regional level. Working closely with others in the team, the Director will bring together data users, data producers, analysts and developers, from governments, the private sector and civil society, to broker collaborations that solve problems at scale, delivering on the promise of the ‘data revolution for sustainable development’.
- Lead a team responsible for delivering solutions to data problems identified by GPSDD country partners through brokering collaborations between public and private sector organizations, multilateral agencies and funders.
- Work closely with government partners, to understand country and regional level needs for support, advice, technology and tools to improve data production, analysis and use, and devise strategies for overcoming the barriers (financial, institutional, technological) to progress.
- Identify opportunities to scale collaborations to regional or global level, in line with demand from government partners and other data users and in order to support achievement of the SDGs.
- Manage relationships with key partners from government, the private sector and civil society.
- Assess new ideas, collaboration and opportunities as they emerge from partners with a view to understanding technical feasibility, resource need and other requirements, and recommending whether/how they may fit with GPSDD’s agreed priorities.
- Facilitate connections between partners, which may include providing support to build mutual understanding, bringing in additional stakeholders get projects off the ground, and tracking progress.
- Represent the GPSDD at relevant forums, and manage outreach to potential new partners, as agreed with the CEO and other Directors.
- Manage a small and globally dispersed team.
- Lead the development of the ‘API highways’ project with the developers, work with partners and others to ensure that it is providing a useful service and is widely used, and in consultation with the rest of the Secretariat ensure that it is aligned with GPSDD overall strategy.
- Lead on content for the ‘Data for Development Toolbox’, and ensure that it is relevant and useful to partners and the wider community.
- Implement technical tasks, including research, mapping, analyses in support of agreed deliverables when appropriate.
- Identify and facilitate cross-fertilization and collaboration across groups in line with GPSDD agreed priorities
- Assess and advise on partner requests for resources and technical support.
- 10-15 years experience in private sector and/or government
- Technical expertise in one or more of the following: earth observations data, data science, mobile data, and ability to relate to different data communities.
- Experience in brokering and project management
- Understanding of industry dynamics in relevant sectors
- Excellent skills in negotiation and facilitation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Passionate about the mission and objectives of GPSDD
- Self-motivated and creative
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to flexibly manage multiple tasks with attention to detail and deadlines
- Team player that is interested in being part of a highly functioning, fast-paced group of professionals
- Willingness to help out with tasks beyond their immediate role when needed
- Sense of humor and ability to work well with individuals from very different cultural and institutional backgrounds
- Strong professional interpersonal skills and diplomacy
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when needed
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/ tardiness policy
For full-time employees we offer an excellent range of benefits, including a choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP), dental insurance, vision discount plan, Life Insurance, Supplemental Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Long-Term Care Insurance, Health Club Discounts, Commuter Benefits, and Employee Assistance Program.
12 Paid holidays, 4 weeks of vacation, 10 sick days, 3 personal days and 8 weeks of parental leave (mother or father), access to the UNFCU Credit Union, 150% match on our 403b retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, and discounted Zipcar membership.
Minimum Education Required