Details: Salary depends on background and experience
36-14 35th Street
Long Island City
For 35 years, Legal Outreach has been using the law as a tool for raising the bar of academic achievement and for changing the trajectory of students from underserved communities and poorly performing schools in New York City. Through intensive legal and educational programs, Legal Outreach works directly with students to support their college and professional aspirations and through schools and community-based organizations to equip young people with knowledge and skills that will enable them to assert their legal and constitutional rights. Please see www.legaloutreach.org for more information.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Managing Director of Law-Related Education, the Recruitment & Partnerships Coordinator will:
- Coordinate outreach to and building of relationships with middle schools, community-based organizations, and faith-based organizations to recruit middle school students to Legal Outreach’s Summer Law Institute;
- Assist with creation of web and printed content for parents, educators, and students;
- Recruit 8th grade students to participate in Summer Law Institutes by presenting law lessons at schools in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens;
- Recruit and train presenters to conduct in-class recruitment activities to 8th grade students;
- Coordinate logistics for student intake for the Summer Law Institute;
- Coordinate data collection and analysis for student recruitment;
- Assist with program related administrative tasks;
- Assist with other Law-Related Education Department programming, such as the Constitutional Law Debate and Mentoring programs.
- Candidate must have a JD.
- Candidate must be willing to make a 2-year commitment.
- Candidate must have strong oral, writing, and interpersonal skills, and commitment to advancing the organization’s mission through collaboration across departments.
- Candidate must be passionate about advancing educational opportunities for urban youth.
- Candidate must exhibit the capacity to build relationships with and motivate high school students.
- Legal experience, teaching experience or prior involvement with schools, community activities, or youth programs is a definite plus but not an absolute requirement.
Benefits include include generous holiday and vacation benefits, medical and dental coverage, sick days, personal hours, etc.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email cover letter detailing interest and fit in the position and resume with two references to Grace Pickering, Managing Director of Law-Related Education, at email@example.com. Write “RPC Applicant - [Applicant’s Name]” in the subject heading.