1025 "F" Street, NW
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Grants Disbursement Specialist. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Grants Disbursement Specialist supports the daily disbursement activities of NED’s Finance department including: Accounts Payable - vendor & grantee record maintenance and invoice transaction entry in the accounting system; maintenance of banking instructions in various online financial institution platforms; initiating disbursements via domestic and international wire transfer, ACH and check; and scanning and retention of supporting documents along with general financial recordkeeping duties.
- Grantee Wire Transfers & ACH Disbursement Processing: Initiates direct invoice entry and/or prepares a purchase invoice summary import template for upload into Serenic Navigator’s purchasing module. Verifies supporting documents and initiates daily wire and ACH transfers using the various online banking systems. Updates the GIFTS Alta grant management database with applicable payment information to inform grantmaking staff of payment status. Interacts with financial institutions and vendors as needed to research and resolves all banking issues related to rejected/returned wire or ACH transfers either outgoing or incoming in a timely manner.
- Accounts Payable ACH Transactions & Check Processing: Verifies necessary supporting documents, establishes vendor records, and enters invoices in the Serenic Navigator accounting system. Initiates the ACH process through the online banking system as appropriate, or processes check payments for signature utilizing Serenic Navigator payment function.
- Ensures payments are processed timely by problem solving any payment issues and promptly following up with the requestors and/or Finance team management concerning any transactional questions.
- Acts as the petty cash custodian for the Finance department, ensuring availability of funds for employees and the physical security of the funds while maintaining perpetual reconciliation.
- Maintains the organization and completeness of vendor and grantee file documents, performing scanning and record retention duties, as well as providing general assistance with records filing and archiving as appropriate.
- Assists with retrieving disbursement documentation necessary for audit preparation and response.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with major in Accounting preferred, with 2+ years relevant experience. Non-degreed applicants with 5+ years relevant experience will also be considered.
- Demonstrated experience with use of various online banking systems.
- Strong working knowledge of electronic funds transfer management, to include international transfers and domestic ACH and wires.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various double-entry accounting systems, specifically with regards to purchasing and payables, with Serenic Navigator experience a plus.
- Experience with WUBS Global Pay and/or Edge platforms a plus.
- Experience with GIFTS Alta Grants management system a plus.
- Other Qualifications:
- Strong attention to details and accuracy in all work products.
- Solid documentation skills, ensuring proper audit trail.
- Efficient in use of Microsoft Office products including Outlook, Excel, and Word.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Professional demeanor with strong interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff;
- Confident in addressing policy and procedure compliance questions;
- Ability to manage high workload cycle times successfully;
- Capability and willingness to work both independently and as a member of a team;
- Flexibility in approach to work processes and tasks with the ability to adapt to process change quickly
Candidates must include a resume, cover letter, salary history with requirements, and contact information for three professional references and a completed NED employment application. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org.
Please, no phone calls; direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with 1838 Grants Disbursement Specialist - YOUR NAME in the subject.
Minimum Education Required