911 Stewart Street
Gethsemane Lutheran Church is a community engaged in worship, study, service, and fun that equips us to share God’s love and hope with joy and compassion. Church staff support that vision by working with members, visitors, and other partners in ministry to deepen connections among each other and to grow the congregation’s witness and impact, especially in downtown Seattle.
The role of the Administrator is to assist the pastoral staff, the offsite bookkeeper, and the congregation’s lay leaders with administrative functions required to operate effectively.
· College graduate or equivalent related experience
· Advanced computer skills, including significant expertise with MS Office and desktop publishing
· Familiarity with or openness to learn MailChimp, Facebook, Google Apps, and Salesforce
· Demonstrated communication skills (written and oral; phone, email, and in person)
· Demonstrated ability to interact professionally with a culturally diverse population
· Demonstrated organizational and data-management skills
· Demonstrated initiative, creativity, and problem-solving skills
· Willingness to ask for help or clarification
· Desire to participate in a collaborative work environment
· Eligibility to become a Notary Public
· Proficiency in financial record-keeping
· Familiarity with religious communities, especially Christian congregations
· Understanding of and commitment to social justice
Key Responsibilities and Duties
1. Provide administrative support to the pastors; administratively support lay leaders as needed.
2. Prepare weekly bulletins and worship materials for congregation, and communicate instructions, materials, and schedules to leaders.
3. Prepare materials for special events, annual congregation meeting, and stewardship activities by producing materials and communications to participants.
4. Maintain an income log and prepare weekly deposit.
5. Record donor contributions and acknowledge donations.
6. Manage accounts payable and receivable in collaboration with an offsite bookkeeper.
7. Process timesheets and prepare payroll documentation for offsite bookkeeper.
8. Assist with electronic communications (updates to web, facebook, and eNews),
9. Field email and mail communications and respond or file as appropriate.
10. Coordinate and review communication with visitors for appropriate follow-up.
11. Maintain database and MailChimp lists of members, friends, and donors for communications and subscriptions.
12. Maintain church files, Parish Register book, and notary journal.
13. Purchase and maintain supplies for office and building needs and special events.
14. Assist with “In the City for Good” Endowment Committee’s grant application process.
15. Additional tasks as mutually determined with supervisor.
1. Receive and welcome visitors, members, technicians/service providers, and deliveries.
2. Receive and track donations from building users, coordinating space usage agreements.
3. Communicate regularly with building users about shared space, scheduled meetings, procedures, and needs.
4. Work with lay leaders to assess and develop building use policies.
5. Work with lay leaders, Pastor, and Condo Association representatives to review and negotiate contracts for service providers.
6. Manage the temperature control set-points for the building.
7. Assist with troubleshooting issues related to phone/internet, printer, building access, etc.
8. Maintain accurate and thorough records of building access and distribute materials according to office policies.
9. Work with Lead Pastor to delegate facility management tasks.
Gethsemane Lutheran Church is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We strongly support diversity in the workforce. Salary range is DOE.
Some additional compensation toward benefits (FSA, healthcare, 403b, etc.) negotiable.
***possibility of adding 0.25FTE with another employer in same office -- requires interest in or experience with immigration***
Level of Language Proficiency
English - Native or Bilingual Proficiency
Minimum Education Required