247 West 37th Street
For 20 years, Girls Write Now has been a leader in arts education as New York’s first and only writing and mentoring organization for girls. We match underserved teen girls and gender non-conforming youth from throughout the five boroughs of New York City with women professional writers and digital media makers as their personal mentors. Our mentees are published in outlets including The New York Times, Newsweek, and BuzzFeed, perform at Lincoln Center and the United Nations, and earn hundreds of Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. 100% of Girls Write Now seniors are accepted to college. The organization has been distinguished three times by the White House as one of the nation’s top youth programs and twice by the Nonprofit Excellence Awards as one of New York’s top ten nonprofits. Reaching thousands of girls, Girls Write Now is a founding partner of the New York City Council’s STARS Citywide Girls Initiative.
Girls Write Now seeks an Operations Coordinator who is a team player and passionate about empowering young women’s voices through writing and mentoring. Reporting to the Executive Director and working collaboratively across departments, this position will coordinate core operations functions, including: finance, human resources, data/systems, and office infrastructure.
· Coordinate annual audit, serving as primary liaison to Controller and independent auditor
· Manage weekly bookkeeping activities, biweekly payroll, and benefits administration
· Assist with development of program/project budgets and timely financial reports; support grants and government contract administration in collaboration with Development Staff
· Play active role in recruiting and onboarding new staff and interns, including training on various systems and ensuring that staff/interns have a high level of support, complete information, and all physical materials needed to succeed
· Maintain productive relationships with partners, vendors, consultants, and building/facilities representatives
· Serve as gatekeeper for daily office operations, including: addressing/re-routing external information requests via phone and email; maintaining a clean, organized, and efficient office environment; resolving space issues (technology, facilities, equipment)
· Manage centralized office protocols around acquiring and maintaining organizational assets (supplies, technology, equipment, furniture, use of credit cards and petty cash)
· Perform basic cost-benefit and other analyses to support organizational decision-making; create and maintain physical and electronic files and tracking systems; support organization-wide rollout of new/improved systems and protocols
· Prepare materials for key staff meetings, Board and Committee meetings, funder site visits, and special events
· Undertake special projects spanning all departments and requiring collaboration with staff at all levels
· Other duties, as assigned
We offer competitive salaries and benefit packages, including: health insurance, retirement, and flexible spending plans, and 20 paid leave days plus holidays.
Level of Language Proficiency
Successful candidates will be goal-oriented, able to meet deadlines, and focused on deliverables, while demonstrating flexibility and adapting to new priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- B.A. degree required
- A minimum of three years of nonprofit management experience
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Self-starter, active learner, and natural project manager who is eager to generate solutions to problems and see them through to completion
- Exceptional maturity and ability to use good judgment and discretion in all circumstances
- Experience prioritizing multiple assignments, meeting tight deadlines, and willing to be flexible with a lean staff in a fast-paced environment
- Systems thinker and technically savvy, especially with data management and organizational systems (e.g., Salesforce, QuickBooks, WordPress, email marketing)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Priority deadline is September 25th and early applications are highly encouraged. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No calls, please.