Term of Employment: Full-Time, Non-Exempt, included in a collective bargaining unit
Reports to: Direct Marketing Manager
Location: Cotati, CA
Objectives: The Development Administrative Assistant is responsible for supporting the Development Department in day-to-day operations including, clerical and donor customer service, to reach the goals of the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s fundraising program. Essential responsibilities will include the following:
Donor Development (45%):
- Ensure donors are thanked and acknowledged for their gifts in a timely manner by processing the weekly gift acknowledgement files; coordinate with outside vendor to ensure the appropriate gift data files are received and the related letters are mailed each week; work closely with other members of the Development department to ensure all in-house acknowledgement letters are accurate and mailed each week.
- Research, produce, and process written materials related to donor cultivation and stewardship such as donor profiles, stewardship reports, letters to donors, and tax receipts.
- Act as point-of-contact for external calls to the Development phone line; log and track phone calls from donors or potential donors; maintain positive donor relations by providing courteous support in answering questions, providing information, and assisting in resolving issues/complaints.
- Tracking types of donor calls and queries and providing monthly reporting on same to Direct Marketing Manager; ensuring efficient categorization of types of donors’ calls.
- Respond to internal and external requests for information through email and phone interaction, in a professional and courteous manner
- Produce and distribute special acknowledgements such as honorary donations and gift memberships in a timely manner.
- Assist with Development projects and tasks as assigned by the Direct Marketing Manager, including but not limited to: assisting with the details for promotional or donor events, creating information tables, assisting with online charity events, distributing in-house publications or merchandise, and/or coordinating benefit dinners.
- Contribute to fundraising and donor stewardship/cultivation efforts by executing various tasks as assigned by the Direct Marketing Manager.
Administrative Support (35%):
- Create, maintain, and update donor information in our donor database, including ongoing updates related to donor/supporter personal information, communication and contact preferences and frequency, financial gift information, call logs and comments, and other relevant information as needed.
- Work with the Direct Marketing Manager, outside vendors, and relevant staff to maintain good standing and compliance with all State Charity Registrations and renewals by ensuring all state requirements and deadlines are adhered to and met.
- Adhere to Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) calendar of events, working with the Direct Marketing Manager, Donation Processing Manager, and other necessary staff as well as outside vendors to submit required paperwork for yearly workplace giving campaign and related bi-yearly donor correspondence.
- Provide general assistance to the Development department including booking travel arrangements, maintaining schedules via outlook calendar, correspondences, faxing, copying, filing, mailing letters and publications from the Cotati office to supporters/donors, and replenishing supplies to team members as needed.
- Code vendor invoices for Development department to be approved by the Direct Marketing Manager or Director of Development.
- Provide support to the Operations team as determined by the Direct Marketing Manager.
- New major donor assignment: follow up on new major donor gifts to ensure the relevant Philanthropy Manager is aware of the gift and is taking action to engage with the donor, and that the new major donor receives a Philanthropy Manager assignment.
- Other duties as assigned by the Direct Marketing Manager.
Estate Administration (15%):
- Act as first point of contact for routine online requests for planned giving information; provide initial information materials.
- Assist in estate administration tasks by distributing all estate-related documents to the Development Associate; maintain all estate-related files in an organized manner.
- Work closely with the Development Associate to ensure all requests for information and/or all action(s) needed to secure the estate are resolved/executed in a timely manner.
- In coordination with the Development Associate, follow up as needed with planned giving queries.
• Tasks other than those stated above as assigned by the Direct Marketing Manager.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in similar administrative positions, preferably at a non-profit or in the field of fundraising/development, customer relations, marketing, or communications.
- High attention to detail, organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple priorities and projects independently, adhere to deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Possess a high degree of computer literacy as well as working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, and an understanding of data management, preferably using donor database software (previous use of Revolution Online (ROI) database software a plus).
- Demonstrable ability to maintain and build relationships with a broad range of constituents with varying cultural, political, and social backgrounds including potential donors, funders, and sponsors.
- Ideal candidate will have an interest in or experience with animal protection issues and a commitment to the mission of the Animal Legal Defense Fund.
- Must have a friendly and professional demeanor; strong phone etiquette.
- Must possess a positive attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, effective communication, and the ability to work cooperatively with others on team-oriented projects as well as independently on routine responsibilities.
- Must agree to and pass a background check.
included in a collective bargaining unit
The workplace is a busy, two-story office located in Cotati, California. The workplace environment is business casual and includes companion animals. Products made from animals or animal parts are prohibited in the office.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive compensation package with comprehensive benefits.
How to Apply:
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and list of references (in PDF format only) to the attention of the HR Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls, please). Additionally, please include “Development Administrative Assistant” in your email subject header.