Details: This is a full-time, non-exempt position based in San Francisco, with a starting salary range of $46-51k, depending on experience.
1170 Market Street
Position: Program Assistant
Reports to: Legal Director
Classification: Full-Time; Hourly, Non-Exempt
About Equal Rights Advocates and the Program Assistant Role:
Equal Rights Advocates (ERA), a national civil rights organization dedicated to protecting and expanding economic and educational access and opportunities for women and girls, is seeking a creative and dedicated Program Assistant to provide operational and administrative support to ERA’s legal team and help to coordinate ERA’s direct services (Advice & Counseling) program. The Program Assistant is responsible for supporting the legal team in a variety of ways, including: organizing documents and information systems; supporting ERA’s intake process and case management system; communicating with current and prospective clients; helping to design and update outreach and education materials and keep track of community outreach activities; facilitating internal work flow, coordination, and information-sharing; and supporting ERA’s collaborations with community organizations and coalition partners. The Program Assistant also assists the legal team with mailings, court filings, document templates and formatting expense tracking and reimbursements, note-taking during meetings, and performs other administrative and operational support tasks, as needed.
What You'll Do:
Support the ERA legal team in carrying out litigation, community outreach and education, direct legal services, and other advocacy
- Process, organize, and file documents related to cases and campaigns and provide administrative support on litigation matters
- Provide logistical support for internal and external meetings, conference calls, and advocacy-related events
- Maintain and update ERA’s internal law library
- Help to design and update content and format of ERA’s outreach and education materials for lay and legal audiences
- Help onboard new law clerks, interns, legal staff, and legal volunteers
- Assist attorneys and Legal Director with recruitment, hiring, and orientation of law student interns and fellows, and provide administrative support on other legal team hiring
- Evaluate and help to improve systems, processes, and protocols used by ERA’s legal team to maximize coordination and streamline work flow
- Act as a liaison and share information on behalf of ERA legal team with other ERA teams and support staff
- Perform administrative and operational tasks to support ERA attorneys, clients, and partners, as needed
Coordinate intakes and provide operational support for ERA’s Advice & Counseling program
- Process requests for legal assistance received through ERA’s Advice & Counseling helpline and schedule intake appointments
- Serve as an administrator, maintain and update configurations, generate reports, and troubleshoot technical issues relating to ERA’s online intake/case management system
- Work with ERA attorneys to monitor and improve the structure, systems, and flow of ERA’s Advice & Counseling systems, processes, and protocols
You’ll be a qualified candidate for this role if...
- You have commitment to, and passion for, social justice and gender equity
- You have a college degree or 3+ years of relevant work experience
- You take initiative and have the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced work environment
- You have strong organizational skills, follow-through, and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines
- You manage time effectively, know how to prioritize, and can handle working on several projects or assignments at once
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills
- You have good judgment, hustle, and resourcefulness (i.e., you are known for ‘getting it done’)
- You have an understanding of the complex nature of the problems ERA seeks to address and are sensitive to the challenges facing ERA clients and their families
- You have the ability to work in a compassionate and collaborative manner and can effectively communicate with co-workers, clients, and coalition partners from diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and communities
- You know how to use Microsoft Office programs (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and commonly used document and data sharing platforms, such as Google Docs/Drive, Dropbox and Box
- You are comfortable with tech and willing to learn and use new computer systems, platforms, and databases
We’ll be even more excited about you if…
- You have prior experience working with and/or in organizations that serve low-wage workers, students, immigrants, women of color, people who identify as LGBTQI, and/or other vulnerable individuals or marginalized communities
- You have experience using LegalServer, other similar case management systems, or a CRM system
- You have previously worked in a law firm, legal services or advocacy organization, or other legal setting
- You can communicate proficiently in Spanish, verbally and in writing
- You thrive in small, scrappy, environments where the approach is all hands on deck
- You have an excellent sense of humor and willingness to work with a team of feisty, no-nonsense civil rights badasses
This is an office-based job performed during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, with occasional out-of-office travel and evening work required. This job is performed under general office conditions and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
An Equal Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity:
Equal Rights Advocates (ERA) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that is dedicated to the diversity of our staff. We will consider applicants equally without regard to sex, gender, race, age, ethnicity, national origin, disability, marital or veteran status, medical condition, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We reasonably accommodate staff members and applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job. Individuals who need assistance or accommodation due to a disability may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ERA offers a work environment that values work/life balance and a competitive benefits package that includes medical and dental coverage for staff and dependents; FSA plan; generous vacation and paid sick leave; 13 paid holidays per year; and an optional a 403b retirement plan with employer matching.
Level of Language Proficiency
English, bonus if you have a proficiency in Spanish, verbally and in writing
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply:
Please do not apply via Idealist. Please submit a cover letter describing your interest in this particular position, connection to ERA’s mission, where you found the job posting, and attach your current résumé to email@example.com. Please list “2018 Program Assistant Application” in the subject line of your e-mail message. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No telephone calls, please. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications submitted by other means than what is detailed here will not be considered.