125 Broad Street
Position: Media Strategist
Terms of Employment: Full-Time
Salary Range: Salary will be based on experience and qualifications. The NYCLU provides excellent health and dental benefits. The position is available immediately.
Location: 125 Broad Street, New York, NY
Application deadline: August 17, 2018 or until the position is filled. Applications will be accepted and reviewed immediately.
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951 as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with nearly 200,000 members and supporters and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures, and on the streets to advocate for the full range of civil rights and civil liberties, including racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU’s Communications Department leads the media and digital communications for the organization and works closely with legal, legislative, advocacy and chapter staff. The department works to drive conversations around civil rights and civil liberties and enhance public understanding and support for our issues. We accomplish this by working with high-impact media, launching multimedia advocacy campaigns, releasing reports and research, and running the organization’s websites and digital channels.
The NYCLU seeks a dynamic Media Strategist to join its 9-person communications team. We’re looking for candidates with a keen sense of how media works, strong writing skills, and a deep understanding of social justice issues. The Media Strategist will report to the Communications Director and Deputy Director.
- Participate in developing and executing communications strategies and tactics for a broad range of projects, campaigns, and litigation efforts;
- Pitch stories and interviews, respond to incoming media requests; build relationships with press;
- Draft press materials, including press releases, advisories, blog posts, op-eds, reports and public education materials;
- Respond quickly to breaking news and inquiries, including occasionally after hours and on weekends;
- Provide press support, including preparing spokespeople for interviews, creating talking points and setting up interviews, for New York City and regional offices;
- Build and maintain press lists;
- Plan and manage press conferences and media events; and
- Assist the Communications Department with other tasks, including writing and research as needed.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Ideal candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to civil liberties and social justice;
- 3-5 years of experience in journalism, public relations or nonprofit communications;
- Strong news judgment and a demonstrated ability in securing media coverage and cultivating relationships with journalists;
- An understanding of digital communications tools, including social media
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with the ability to translate complex legal material into accurate, accessible, and compelling messaging;
- Ability to work effectively across multiple issue areas;
- The ability to thrive under deadline pressures; and
- A diplomatic touch and a sense of humor.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with “Media Strategist” in the subject line.
Please submit a resume, a writing sample of up to two pages, and a cover letter describing:
· Your unique qualifications for this position
- Where or how you learned of this job posting.
· Your salary requirements
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.