Blackstone Innovation School
380 Shawmut Ave.
IBA - Inquilinos Boricuas en Acción is a dynamic community development corporation in Boston’s South End neighborhood formed in 1968. IBA’s mission is to empower and engage individuals and families to improve their lives through high-quality affordable housing, education, and arts programs.
JOB SUMMARY: Directed and designed by IBA within a framework established by Boston Afterschool & Beyond and the Office of English Learners, IBA’s Summer Learning Project is a free, arts-integrated, five-week program that aims to reverse summer learning loss in rising 2nd and 3rd grade EL students. S/he will work closely with the ESL-Certified Lead Teacher, IBA’s Program Coordinator and a BPS Instructional Coach to develop the program curriculum and weekly/daily lesson plans. IBA will provide the teaching team with an overall theme and essential question (“What is Community?”) around which to build lessons, as well as ideas and support for expeditionary learning opportunities. S/he will be expected to participate in pre-summer planning and training workshops before the program begins, as well as evaluations and debrief meetings following its conclusion. Reports to IBA’s Afterschool and Summer Learning Program Coordinator.
SCHEDULE: Program runs July 9, 2018 to August 10, 2018 with training and planning sessions prior to start of program
DATES/HOURS: Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 2:45pm, with occasional evening/weekend hours
WHERE: Blackstone Innovation School
GRADE LEVEL: Rising 2nd & 3rd Grade
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Training and Planning
- Develops and implements an established curriculum focused on arts-integrated language/literacy development with the teaching team framed around the essential question “What is Community?”
- Participates in curriculum planning sessions prior to program and in weekly meetings with the Program Coordinator and teaching staff to reflect on classes and ensures that curriculum, pedagogy and overall structure of the program continually align with IBA’s goals and the needs of students.
Instruction and Classroom Management
- Delivers arts-based instruction Monday-Friday, 8:30AM-2:45PM during the five-week program in collaboration with the ESL Lead Teacher to 20 rising 2nd and 3rd graders.
- Aligns student support services with IBA’s mission and education philosophy.
- Enforces student discipline code.
Collaboration and Evaluation
- Works in conjunction with the Program Coordinator and ESL Lead Teacher to document student work and support program assessment.
- Participates in mandatory feedback interviews with evaluators; complete all necessary surveys.
- Participates in generating and upholding IBA staff norms.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or extensive arts background required.
- Experience developing and leading arts-integrated workshops, sustained class projects, and/or experiential lessons.
- Willing to explore student learning in a non-traditional setting and connect student understanding to project-based, experiential learning.
- Willing to work in close collaboration with a non-profit with shared goals in a student-centered, school-aligned, results-focused initiative.
- Focused on whole-child approaches (academic and skill development).
- Experience teaching and developing arts curriculum for early elementary.
- Experience in teaching and working with English Learners and/or with students from multicultural backgrounds in urban, community-based settings.
- Ability to work with children and families of diverse ethnic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Must meet CORI requirement.
- Bilingual, Spanish-English, preferred.
- Strong administrative, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Good moral character, mature judgment and a strong sense of responsibility and dedication.
- Highly positive and enthusiastic teaching style; capable of motivating and encouraging students and colleagues.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com or:
IBA - Inquilinos Boricuas en Acción / Job Postings
405 Shawmut Ave., Boston, MA 02118