Details: We take good care of our employees and offer a competitive salary.
Middle School Math Teacher (6th-8th Grade) (18-19)
Lodestar: A Lighthouse Community Charter School
Social justice movements come in all shapes and sizes. Here at Lighthouse Community Public Schools we are engaged in an educational movement that goes beyond our classrooms working to disrupt educational inequities by providing our students and families exceptional educational opportunities every day. Grounded in our core values of community, integrity, agency, love, and social justice rooted in EL Education Model, LCPS is a leader in fostering innovative schools achieving exceptional student outcomes where each child is at the center of their own learning. Our mission is to prepare diverse students for college, a career of their choice, and to be lifelong changemakers.
Founded in 2002, LCPS operates a high-achieving K-12 public charter school, and our K-8 sister site, Lodestar, that opened in Fall 2016; serving nearly 1,000 students in East Oakland. Lighthouse is a beacon for public education and our graduates fulfill the promise of a better, brighter Oakland. 95% of our graduates, almost all of whom are first-generation college students, are accepted into four-year colleges. We were named the Hart Vision Charter School of the Year in 2013, and the #1 high school for closing achievement for low-income Latino students in 2016. If the work we do here at LCPS appeals to your values regarding quality education for all then please join our movement! Learn more at www.lighthousecharter.org
About Lodestar—A New Way of Doing School
Lodestar is an innovative, new school that opened in East Oakland in Fall 2016. Lodestar teachers are excited by the possibility of transforming the traditional model of education to be student-centered and experiential. Our teaching pedagogy is built around:
- Design Principles of Agency and Belonging
- Students belonging to an educational community that provides personalized learning
- Project-based learning expeditions using Making/Arts/Design
- Allowing for “just right” instruction in math and literacy and grade level access.
This model allows our team of teachers to serve the whole child by offering both grade level access to rigorous standards and "just right" personalized intervention and acceleration to meet students' individual needs. This year we are adding grades 4 and 8 to our existing grade levels of K-3, and 6-7. We will continue to add grades until we are K-12. Take a look at our work and watch our lab in action here!
About the Middle School Math Teacher Role
Currently 2 openings!
We are looking for Math Teachers who love math and love middle schoolers. The ideal candidate can build strong alliances with their students and families -- rooted in trust -- in order to cultivate conceptual mathematical understanding, build fluency and accuracy, and provide opportunities for authentic application for all of their middle school mathematicians. You will:
- Be the primary math instructor for grade-level cohorts of students delivering standards-driven, Common Core-aligned, mathematics curriculum.
- Support students for part of their day to move through Lodestar Math Modules in smaller, flexible, multi-aged groups delivering personalized, just-right intensive instruction based on what students need -- not based on a calendar or a student’s age.
- Use formative assessment data in order to inform groupings, track student progress, and share feedback with families and students so they can lead their own learning.
- Collaborate closely with the middle school math team to ensure every 6-8 student is receiving just right personalized math instruction based on data.
- Collaborate with other content-based instructors around culture, expectations, and systems in the lab spaces.
- Use educational technology to support student-driven and personalized instruction, to develop and deliver content and skill benchmarks, and to track student progress.
- Build deep relationships with all students and serve as a Crew leader to a grade level cohort of students, being the primary trusted adult and family liaison and supporting students in community building, character development, and academic progress monitoring.
Are you ready to join our educational movement that is bigger than one classroom? If you are excited about the opportunity to foster and facilitate a progressive mindset in students and engage in transformational teaching, we ask you to answer the call to action!
You will embody the following Core Competencies to be an effective change-agent:
- Be a visionary, innovative and equity-focused urban educator
- Facilitate deeply engaging student-centered learning
- Demonstrate a keen ability to create, collect and analyze authentic data
- Be a strong community builder and team collaborator
- Model and Foster a Growth Mindset with agency, persistence, and flexibility
- B.A. or B.S. required; Master’s Degree preferred
- Appropriate California Credential required (either Multiple or Single Subject with middle school experience preferred)
- 3+ years teaching experience serving urban youth preferred
- Experience teaching in a progressive and personalized school model a plus
- Experience with one or more of the following: project-based learning, interdisciplinary curriculum, Common-Core, restorative justice, responsive classroom, making and the arts, small group intervention, and service learning.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
200-day work year for 11-month employees with 23 student-free days for professional learning and collaboration with colleagues and families. All instructional staff will report in early August, 2017 (exact calendar TBD).
Common Building Hours: All teachers are expected to maintain hours of 8:00 - 4:00 pm and 8:00-5:00 one day a week for Professional Development.
OUR COMPENSATION PACKAGE:
At Lighthouse Community Public Schools we take good care of our employees. We provide a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a competitive salary and generous health and retirement benefits (100% employee health coverage/50% for dependents; 8% employer-matching for retirement program; medical and dependent FSA). We employ a hard to staff stipend for Math roles at the secondary level.
People of color and/or bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit:
- Cover letter describing your interest in this exciting position and why you are an optimal fit, including how your teaching philosophy, approach to student learning, and educational expertise would contribute to the Lodestar founding team.
- 3 references with Name, Email, Phone Number and Title/nature of working relationship
Application submission screening and initial phone interviews will be completed on a rolling basis. In-person interviews and performance tasks will take place on-site.
Lighthouse Community Charter School is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.
We provide a competitive benefits package, including a competitive salary and generous health and retirement benefits (100% employee health coverage/50% for dependents; 8% employer-matching for retirement program; medical and dependent FSA). We employ a hard to staff stipend for Math roles at the secondary level.
Minimum Education Required