222 East 16th Street
The Communications Office at Friends Seminary works to promote the School, both internally, and in the public eye. Through its efforts in communications and media, the office aims to safeguard the Quaker mission of the School, and showcase it in action. The Communications Specialist: External Relations is a full-time member of the Communications Office, reporting to the Associate Director of Communications. This person has important responsibilities in key messaging to external audiences, as well as internal.
- Assist in developing and executing messaging and media strategies, creating goal-oriented project plans and providing regular updates to senior administrators
- Draft pitch letters, media advisories, press releases, statements, briefing documents, as well as social media and web content
- Cultivate and maintain ongoing relationships with press contacts at a broad and diverse mix of media outlets, including reporters, producers, editors, critics, columnists, etc.
- Manage crisis communications when needed
- Monitor relevant activity involving the School in the news and on social media, and deliver comprehensive reports
- Monitor and maintain School’s profiles on external websites (e.g. Niche, Greatschools, Wikipedia, etc.)
- Identify stories for the communications office to tell. Participate in the creation of the story (writing and/or multimedia creation)
- Provide general communications office support such as writing and editing, assisting in the creation of email campaigns
- Serve as writer and editor of the School’s weekly newsletter
- Minimum two years post-college experience within the relevant fields of public relations, communications, or related sectors
- Keen interest in New York education and media landscape across a variety of subject areas; general knowledge of influencers at leading and hyperlocal publications and websites
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience and training handling crisis communications
- Strong critical and analytical skills
- Acute attention to detail and a high degree of organization
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud and email service providers such as MailChimp and Constant Contact is highly desirable
- An understanding of SEO
- Familiarity with media contact databases (Meltwater, Cision, etc.) a major plus
- Ability to keep pace in deadline-driven environment across multiple projects
- Strong ability to prioritize work based on short and long-term needs
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates must submit a completed Friends Seminary Employment Application, a Cover Letter, Resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
When submitting required documents, kindly reference in the subject line: your first and last name, the position you are applying for and where you heard about the position. You will receive a confirmation email when you submit your application online. Kindly submit your information only once per school year. No phone calls, please.
Friends Seminary actively promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion in all programs and operations, including admissions, financial aid, and hiring. To form a community which strives to reflect the world’s diversity, we do not discriminate on the basis of race or color, religion, nationality, ethnicity, economic background, physical ability, sex, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation. Friends Seminary is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of color and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. We urge all applicants to identify and express their individuality and the ways in which they might enrich and diversify the school community.