Be a visionary for the future of public education!
TNTP seeks a full-time Partner, Community Engagement and Public Policy. This position is based in a home office anywhere in the U.S. and requires up to 40% travel.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP’s Community Engagement team partners with school districts and charter schools to create structures and practices that fully utilize the ideas, energy, and resources of the entire community and enable districts and communities to work toward the shared goal of improved educational experiences and increased life outcomes for all students. These structures support and shape teacher training and development, leadership at the school and district level, human capital, and turnaround services.
Our vision for a supportive environment that authentically engages school communities’ rests on four pillars:
- Intentional Culture & Diversity - An intentional culture is one that is purposefully reflective of the community’s demographics and perspectives. This will require districts to create a culture of inclusivity where all voices are heard.
- Supportive Environments - A supportive environment is one where school system leaders prioritize authentic engagement through actions like training all educators in foundational communication skills (e.g. cultural competency) to ensure they are well equipped to create a positive home to school relationship with families and a positive classroom/school environment for all stakeholders.
- Effective 360 Communication - Effective communication occurs when all stakeholders feel safe and empowered to receive and provide information to one another. School system leaders foster effective communication through transparency and creating opportunity for community members to share their perspectives. Community members buttress the communication by exercising the opportunities to both listen and be heard.
- Shared Vision & Accountability - A community must share a common goal for sustainable changes to education that create an environment for students to thrive academically. And, the community members must hold one another accountable for that goal. Without a shared vision, there is no common space for a community to engage authentically and productively.
What You’ll Do
Reporting to TNTP’s Vice President of Policy and Community Engagement, the Partner is a critical leader on the team advancing TNTP’s mission through community engagement and public policy. The Partner will lead the development of strategy, the designing and implementation of programming and policy, and ultimately connect it to TNTP’s organizational mission of ending educational injustice. Specifically, you will:
- Provide partner level support to the VP of Policy and Community Engagement in developing and guiding departmental strategy for Community Engagement
- Coordinate collaboration on policy development across Policy, Communications, and Legal departments
- Develop a policy agenda and action plan for each fiscal year
- Support the leadership, strategic direction, decision making, and client and team management necessary to ensure the success of TNTP’s public policy and engagement work
- Manage program and service design, messaging and implementation at a senior level
- Actively expand and manage existing partnerships
- Craft new work and building clientele
- Utilize long-term planning and quality controls to ensure contract goals are met and ongoing work is stable and sustainable
- Hire, manage, and develop staff who will oversee the development and delivery of TNTP’s work and the work in partnership with clients.
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you have a passion for community and believe that they are critical to the long-term success of education and community change.
We expect this Partner to:
- Connect the Dots. You understand the interconnectedness of the multiple layers of education like academics and policy but also know that change in education is integrated in to the holistic health and well-being of families and community members.
- Drive Strategy and Innovation. You’re a strategy setter who can generate innovative and nuanced solutions to complex challenges, provide strategic direction, anticipate challenges, and assess the effectiveness of our work.
- Motivate and influence others to act. We’re counting on your ability to clearly communicate complex information in a compelling way. You are as comfortable advising a Superintendent on creating a vision for increased student learning as you are collaborating with a charter network on the reallocation of limited resources, and can influence decision-makers at all levels of an organization. You persuade your audience to deliver results.
- Lead Thriving Teams. One of your greatest responsibilities and privileges will be to manage TNTP’s people. You will have a heart for people and lead by listening.
- Support sustainability and growth. You understand and consider external conditions that affect the organization’s work, actively advocate for change, and successfully propose new services that align to strategic priorities when necessary. You build and maintain a strong external network and are viewed as a leader within the larger field.
- Senior level experience in policy and community engagement and/or organizing work
- Experience leading the design and implementation of complex organizational change efforts, including the ability to develop a clear vision and purposeful strategy to achieve ambitious goals
- Demonstrated success navigating and managing complex and nuanced relationships, both internal and client facing
- The ability to critically assess challenges and identify innovative, effective solutions in ambiguous situations
- Excellent management skills, including experience effectively managing staff and developing talent to achieve ambitious goals
- Excellent project management skills and an ability to work efficiently and prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Experience speaking publicly to deliver presentations and strategy to both internal and external audiences
- Experience organizing national campaigns (preferred)
- Experience conducting data analytics (preferred)
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Minimum Education Required