YouthBuild DC Public Charter School (YouthBuild PCS) is an alternative high school for young people seeking to transform their lives by re-engaging in their education in a non-traditional school environment. YouthBuild PCS prepares students for post secondary education and the workplace by offering, in English and Spanish, academic, vocational and workforce development programs. YouthBuild PCS believes that service to the community is an essential part of the transformative process. Therefore, students serve their community through volunteer projects and by creating housing for low-income residents in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
For more information about YouthBuild PCS, visit youthbuildpcs.org.
YouthBuild PCS seeks a CTE Construction Instructor to join the construction team (Construction Manager and other construction instructors) for the 2021-22 school year. This is a full-time position, 8:00am - 4:00pm. The Construction Instructor reports to the Construction Manager.
The Construction Instructor will oversee daily operations on the construction site or construction lab while creating a supportive, empowering learning environment. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Instruction - Construction Content
- Manage and supervise a group of students on a construction work site, ensuring proper OSHA regulations are being consistently followed and enforced.
- Teach the proper use and handling of all hand tools, power tools, and equipment.
- Provide on-site construction skills instruction and assessment aligned with NCCER and HBI-PACT standards, including proper use and handling of tools and equipment, demolition, rough framing, drywall, carpentry, green building, electrical, plumbing, painting, and masonry.
Instruction - Effective Teaching
- Differentiate instruction to accommodate students’ multiple learning styles and abilities, including students with disabilities and English language learners.
- Work closely with the special education department to effectively implement Individual Education Programs (IEPs), track student progress, and participate in IEP teams.
- Design engaging and rigorous learning activities that will keep students engaged. Work with Construction and Academic Teams to cover required HBI-PACT and NCCER certification curricula and align to the broader construction and GED preparatory curricula.
- Assess and facilitate students’ academic and vocational growth through observation and Skills Achievement Reviews. Track and monitor assessment results to ensure student learning, progress, and achievement. Meet student mastery targets.
- Support all school staff in implementing effective and consistent school-wide restorative practices, such as de-escalation strategies and restorative circles
- Create a positive learning environment that promotes high expectations and provides opportunities for all students to experience success
- Maintain positive, professional relationships with students and colleagues
- Communicate with students and school staff to ensure that students are on-track in their learning and making progress towards goals
- Collaborate with colleagues across YouthBuild’s departments to ensure multi-faceted development of each student
- Other duties as assigned
- Assist in personal and vocational counseling and development of students’ leadership skills in conjunction with other school staff.
- Collaborate with the Transitions Department to develop plans for students aging out of the program and those pursuing careers in the construction industry.
Data and Record Keeping
- Maintain hard copy and electronic records of student achievement towards attaining HBI, NCCER and other certifications.
- Prepare weekly reports on student progress for supervisor and Head of School.
- Inventory and maintain all tools, equipment and supplies and inform supervisor about material needs for instruction and/or construction site.
- Ensure the construction lab and/or construction site are well organized for student learning and fully compliant with health and safety regulations.
- Maintain positive, professional relationships with students and colleagues.
- Communicate effectively with students and school staff to ensure that students are on-track in their learning and making progress towards goals.
- Commit to ongoing professional development in construction instruction, classroom management, and techniques for teaching opportunity youth. Participate in professional learning circles and/or peer coaching sessions. Accept and promptly implement feedback and coaching from staff.
- Maintain appropriate training certifications.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of three (3) years work experience in construction or related field.
- Alignment with, and adherence to, YouthBuild’s mission to transform lives of DC opportunity youth.
- Strong cultural competency skills, including excellent ability to communicate with diverse students and staff.
- Must be flexible, energetic, resourceful and solutions-focused.
- Must also be committed to mentoring and educating “opportunity youth,” and believe that all students can achieve success.
- Bilingual Spanish/English fluency strongly preferred.