140 Mount Airy Road
The YMCA is so much more than a “swim and gym.” It is a powerful association of diverse people joined together by a shared commitment to nurture the potential of kids, improve health and well-being, and foster a sense of social responsibility. Do you want to be their 'voice' and tell their story? We are looking for a Communication's professional to communicate our mission and brand promise to strengthen our communities.
Somerset County YMCA serves more than 30,000 members and is comprised of four branches, including Bridgewater YMCA, Hillsborough YMCA, Somerset Hills YMCA, and Somerville YMCA. The Director of Communications is an integral part of the Somerset County YMCA marketing team, utilizing public relations best practices to communicate our mission and build on our brand promise to strengthen community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing & Communications, this position supports branch and Association initiatives to help drive increased membership, program participation, volunteerism, and donations while advancing the Y’s mission and cause in the local communities we serve. The Director of Communications will work alongside the Creative Director, Director of Digital Marketing, and Production Director.
- Directs and develops all messaging for externally facing marketing and communications material including but not limited to print/digital advertising, signage/displays, newsletters, website content, and social media channels; provides input regarding online and offline design execution of marketing communications.
- Serves as an expert in branding, voice, and messaging across all online and offline channels; working knowledge of Y-USA graphic standards. Communications must be brand compliant, have impact, and be meaningful for the intended audience(s).
- Develops and manages member-facing communications activities via email, website content, facility updates, social media channels, and emergency communications as needed.
- Writes, edits and solicits blog content, consistent with the Y’s three areas of focus for the website.
- Develops, manages, and executes an annual marketing and communications content calendar.
- Tracks online and offline earned media placements (e.g., press coverage); responsible for creating and providing reports, analysis, and insights into content marketing performance.
- Develops, strengthens, and maintains relationships with media representatives. Identifies press opportunities; writes and distributes press releases/feature stories.
- Attends events at branches to take photos and conduct interviews as necessary. Contributes to the development and execution of marketing photography and videography assets, including participation in photo and video shoots.
- Provides graphic/digital design, website administration, and social media publishing support to department as needed.
- Contributes to the development and execution of the overall integrated marketing communications plan for the association; designed to drive membership, program participation, volunteerism, donations, and advance the Y mission, through education, awareness, and engagement with members and the community at large.
- Participates in association and branch events including the Annual Campaign, special events and meetings as required.
- Emotional resiliency and cognitive abilities to carry out job responsibilities, ability to establish and maintain appropriate professional relationships, interpersonal skills to interact effectively with individuals and groups respecting social and cultural diversity and to maintain appropriate boundaries
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism, communications or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 3-5 years previous professional experience in public relations, marketing or communications. Experience in a membership-based organization a plus.
- Proven writing abilities, strong grammar, and attention to detail.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with creating written content for websites, blogs, and social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn).
- Must have good interpersonal, public relations and communications skills, including the ability to make presentations and handle media inquiries.
- Excellent personal computer skills and experience with standard business software, including Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint, and Word. Adobe Creative Suite knowledge and experience a plus.
- Creativity, sound judgement and ability to maintain confidentiality.
Benefits of working at Somerset County YMCA include:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- 12% retirement contribution after eligibility period
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance subsidized by our YMCA
- 100% contribution towards Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Optional life insurance and dependent life insurance available at low rates
- Community volunteering opportunities
- Welcoming and Nurturing culture
- Complimentary Family Membership to our YMCA
- Up to 50% off discount on Child Care & Programs
- Frequent Professional Development & Networking opportunities available
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required