Details: $18 - $20 per hour; based on experience
337 Alexander Avenue
$18 - $20 per hour; based on experience
Director of Facilities and/or Director of Administration
East Side House (ESH) is a community-based organization in the South Bronx. We work with schools, community centers and other partners to bring quality education and resources to residents of the South Bronx and surrounding communities.
The Maintenance Supervisor will support ESH’s Early Learn (EL) programs and operations, and/or affiliations, by providing, assigning, and coordinating quality janitorial and maintenance services via a team of custodians, and as a hands-on supervisor. The aim is to establish and sustain a safe, sanitary, and secure work and learning environment at each EL site (4) and affiliated sites/programs.
Duties & Deliverables
- Develops working knowledge of ESH’s and EL’s policies and procedures, and maintenance/cleaning operations to help drive the upkeep of EL’s facilities in an efficient manner to ensure regulatory compliance
- Assists the Director of Facilities or takes the lead in managing maintenance work, projects, and staff, and performs necessary tasks to maintain and/or improve physical appearance and operations of EL’s facilities
- Inspect sites, and evaluate custodians’ productivity and performance to ensure safety and cleaning standards are met, and take corrective action as needed
- Call-in or enter work orders into system, monitor work order progress, and conduct quality checks to determine whether to close or extend work orders
- Direct, supervise and develop custodian(s) to build capacity and competency
6.Utilize best practices/procedures to clean and sanitize bathrooms, kitchens/eating spaces, and other high priority areas; schedule and coordinate maintenance activities via appropriate resources
7.Clean, dust, and wipe furniture; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; empty/clean wastebaskets and trash containers; replace light bulbs; refill restroom dispensers, supplies classrooms with meal utensils.
8.Coordinate and participate in setups for meetings, conferences, events, and arrange classrooms; Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an as needed basis, etc.
9.Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors, vacuum and shampoo carpets on as needed basis
10.Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, high speed buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc. on an as needed basis
11.Wash walls and equipment; use ladders when required in work assignments.
12.Lock and unlock assigned buildings: secure building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows, report any unauthorized occupants, turn off lights.
13.Perform cleaning and related activities such as removing snow or debris from sidewalks and stairs in areas within sixteen feet of buildings using hand-operated tools or small power equipment.
14.Wash accessible interior and exterior windows. Clean blinds. Launder cleaning rags
15.Performs basic trouble-shooting and repair work within and outside of EL’s facilities, and recommend work/projects to be assigned to NYCHA or outsourced
16. Facilitate or co-facilitate safety, cleaning/maintenance training workshops to staff
17.May drive agency vehicle to facilitate transport of staff, material, deliveries, etc., while adhering to safety regulations and laws; ensures vehicle periodically inspected and well maintained
18.Perform other duties as assigned
- Environment: Work involves performing moderate to heavy work in an indoor and outdoor environment; travel from site to site; possible exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, mechanical and electrical hazards, and various weather and temperature conditions.
- Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time; to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp, and make repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties; to climb unusual heights on ladders; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull moderate to heavy amounts of weight; to operate assigned equipment and vehicles; and to verbally communicate to exchange information. May have to lift, pull, push heaving equipment, and other such items weighing up to approximately 50 lbs.
- Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
- Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a Full-Time position, Monday through Friday. Must be available to work set or varying shifts, weekends, and/or holidays. Work days/hours/shifts subject to change based on EL’s needs.
Site visits to various programs in Bronx.
Required Education and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of three years of experience as a Maintenance Worker or Handy Man or custodian or related field
- Clean and valid NYS Driver’s license
- Supervisory experience
- Computer literacy
- OSHA certification
- Fire Department’s Certificate of Fitness
- Able to work a flexible schedule based on Agency’s needs
- Time Management
- Team and relationship building
- Customer Service
- General Maintenance
- Verbal and written communication
- Project Management
- Quality Assurance
- Trouble shooting and problem resolution
Will be fingerprinted prior to employment by the New York City Department of Investigation
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
AAP/EEO Statement ESH encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer
Send Resume and Cover Letter via email to:
Aris Johnson, Director of Facilities
East Side House Settlement
375 East 143 street, Bronx, NY 10454
Visit our website: www.eastsidehouse.org
Absolutely No Phone Calls!
(Please indicate position title on subject line)
Minimum Education Required