Reports to: Senior Director of Real Estate & Facilities. Works closely with other members of the Real Estate & Facilities Team. May manage an Associate Director of Facilities.
Uncommon’s Real Estate & Facilities Team is responsible for ensuring the leasing, acquisition, development, financing, renovations and ongoing maintenance/compliance of high quality facilities for all Uncommon schools.
The Senior Associate Director of Facilities will have primary responsibility for managing, overseeing and implementing the required facility scopes of work for projects across our six regions. The Senior Associate Director of Real Estate & Facilities will be primarily responsible for all required activities associated with any required site identification, acquisition, leasing, annual building renovations, and facility management for these two regions. S/he will work closely with the Senior Director of Real Estate & Facilities to identify, secure and execute on any required project financing.
The position offers, among other opportunities, a chance to manage, oversee and implement critical facility projects and facility management systems for a rapidly expanding network of high performing K-12 schools. The individual hired for this role will work under the supervision of the Senior Director of Real Estate & Facilities to ensure that critical stages of each project are executed on time and on budget and to the highest degree of quality. Above all, this role demands a flexible team player that “sweats the small stuff” and for whom no project is too small.
- Site Identification, selection, leasing and acquisition:
- Develops possible short-term and long-term facility options for schools in need of facilities, including review of existing public school facility options and private/commercial/parochial facilities.
- Pursues acquisition opportunities if required/needed for planned expansion.
- Interfaces with tenants and landlords to negotiate leases, arrange repairs, and ensure overall effective management of school sites.
- Evaluates options based on due diligence, budgetary and political constraints and communicates best options through required mediums (e.g. PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
- Works collaboratively with the Regional teams, and Uncommon’s Finance and Development teams to reach agreement on pursuit of individual school facility options.
- Site Financing
- Works closely with Senior Director of Real Estate & Facilities and other key organizational leaders to arrange and execute on any project financing that may be required for projects in these regions.
- Provides support to Uncommon’s Development and Finance teams as relates to the development of budgets (both grant required and construction budgets) for renovation projects.
- Site Development:
- Oversees construction, remodeling, and repair projects for individual school sites according to required budgets, scopes, and timelines.
- Plans, directs, and reviews the activities associated with pre-development and design of potential and viable facility projects, which may include:
- Pre-development activity coordination with appraisers, environmental companies, surveyors, architects, engineers, etc.
- Coordination with school leaders to identify and incorporate specific programmatic and scope needs.
- Developing budget and cost estimates required to facilitate project approvals.
- Monitoring construction methods for compliance, developing cost estimate schedules, managing project budgets and vetting vendors/contractors.
- Construction bidding management and coordination, including contract development in coordination with legal counsel.
- Construction management oversight.
- Support the collection, documentation and dissemination of data as needed for specific projects, including the development of materials and communication for key project stakeholders (e.g. lenders, school boards, donors, etc.)
- Assists in the development of comprehensive project budgets.
- Attains all necessary facility permits (zoning, certificate of occupancy, inspection, permits, etc.).
- Works with Uncommon attorneys to ensure prudent execution of all facility related contracts.
- Identifies, evaluates and recommends contractors, owner representatives, construction managers.
- Represents Uncommon Schools and its schools at legal, local, and community facility-related hearings.
- Construction Project Management and Ongoing Facility Support:
- Works with Regional Chief Operating Officers and school-based Directors of Operations around facility planning and facility problem-solving, particularly in relation to facility partnerships (e.g., facilities issues relating to school start up and relocation, building commissioning, selection of appropriate facility renovation and staffing solutions, etc.)
- Develops and refines preventive maintenance programs across the networks of schools.
- Researches cost, prepares reports, and makes recommendations regarding procurement of outside contractors for specific projects. Inspect completed work for compliance with specifications.
- Researches, hires, and maintains close relationships and oversight of outside vendors providing necessary services to the daily operations and maintenance of the facility.
- Ensures coordination of all inspections for all building systems.
- Works with Uncommon’s insurance broker to identify, evaluate and recommend property insurance policies.
- Develops relationships with key vendors, including Uncommon’s IT vendors
- Provides support and recommendations to Directors of Operations, while also finding ways to codify, systematize and develop strategic procedures for durable and sustainable systems and operations.
- Develop, Execute and Administer Other Critical Facility Scopes & Systems, including:
- Summer Renovation Project Management
- Coordination with Uncommon’s Information Technology team and associated vendors
- Project Billing and Invoicing
- Building Audits for Preventative Maintenance, Repairs and Replacement
- Project Budgeting
- Directly manage an Associate Director of Real Estate & Facilities who will be responsible for supporting the execution of the above described scope.
- Performs various administrative and other related duties as assigned and required by the role.
- Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Passionate commitment to the mission of Uncommon Schools.
- Very strong organizational skills; extremely strong attention to detail and follow-through.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills; exceptional ability to bridge and enhance cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to create and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency.Strong problem-solving, critical-thinking, analytical, and strategic planning skills.
- High level of proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office programs, specifically to create and maintain user friendly Excel budgets and PowerPoint presentations.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Strong financial analysis and budget management skills.
- Experience and track record working closely with attorneys and legal counsel to develop, review and vet critical project documents and contracts.
- Upbeat, positive and personable.
- Ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently.
- Willingness to perform hands-on work as well as assist in strategic projects.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, self-directed and take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective communicator across multiple audiences and mediums (e.g. verbal, written, e-mail)
- Ability to learn quickly and to be effective in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment.
- Willingness to travel.
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends, as required.
- Willingness to take on various administrative responsibilities.
- Minimum educational level:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree in relevant field highly preferred
- At least 5-7 years of work experience in facility/real estate project management, community development, urban planning, engineering, architecture, interior design, construction management or asset management.
- Knowledge of and experience within education sector preferred.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply Here: https://uncommonschools.secure.force.com/careers/ts2__JobDetails?jobId=a0x0G00001PonveQAB&tSource=