The ECF’s Strategic Communications team is the outreach unit of the foundation. Its role is to act as a centre of expertise for communication on climate change and to play an active role in helping create more political, media and public endorsement for action on climate change at an international, national and sectoral level.
Team members deliver strategic advice, communications and outreach support to partners and work as part of a global network of communications experts to enhance the public debate on climate change and its solutions more broadly.
The Senior Investigations Associate sits within the Accountability Unit of the ECF. The Accountability Unit is a team of investigators, analysts and strategists that strive to gather and disseminate original research and intelligence to generate media stories and inform partners seeking to secure a positive global response to the climate challenge.
The Senior Investigations Associate will work closely with the Investigations Manager, the Accountability Director and the wider Strategic Communications network to:
▪ Design and manage longer-term investigative projects, including the management of freelance investigative researchers and more junior staff, as directed by, and in collaboration with, the Investigations Manager and the Accountability Director;
▪ Spot/ identify media and campaigning opportunities and conduct short desk-based investigations to generate climate-relevant news stories and provide intelligence to colleagues and external partners;
▪ Work with an international network of communications professionals to integrate investigative research as an approach in its work, including advising on opportunities, risks and best practice, and collaborating to identify how investigative work can support network activities;
▪ Contribute to the development of systems, processes, structures and capacity within and aligned with the ECF that can drive excellence in research and intelligence gathering and lead to news stories that can shift the debate in the climate space;
▪ Build alliances and relationships with the global community of investigators, researchers, practitioners and journalists who work in this space, working with this community to develop and implement new initiatives;
▪ Contribute to the development of a broader vision of how investigative research and rich storytelling can support global communications activities on climate, energy and related causes.
▪ At least seven years’ experience working in the fields of campaigning and/or investigative research and/or investigative journalism;
▪ A proven track record of investigative research achieving impact, either through journalism or the production of content that has improved the policy environment on a given issue;
▪ A strong network of contacts across the communities of investigative journalism and civil society;
▪ Experience of leading cross-border investigation projects, whether in a journalistic or campaigning context;
▪ Experience of libel law, and managing legal and security risks associated with investigations and publication;
▪ Fluent written and spoken English and the ability to produce clear, well-sourced and accurate briefings and summaries, or news articles;
▪ Ability to work both in a team and independently, including management experience;
▪ Fast-learning self-starter comfortable to work in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment and work across time zones, phone/video conferencing, etc.;
▪ The disposition to work with colleagues in a high-trust global community of peers with a spirit of generosity and mutual support;
▪ A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change.
Previous experience and understanding of the oil and gas industry, and the emerging technologies such as bio-methane, hydrogen and battery storage.
▪ Knowledge of another language;
▪ Management experience;
▪ Experience of working with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures, including local communities affected by fossil fuels.
▪ The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
▪ A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
▪ A full-time position with a consultant or employment contract (subject to location) for 12 months, with a possible renewal after one year.
Some international travel will be required. We may be able to provide co-working spaces in some locations.
Only candidates with the right to work in their location will be considered.
As soon as possible
Please upload the following:
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.
The ECF’s Strategic Communications team is the outreach unit of the foundation. Its role is to act as a centre of expertise for communication on climate change and to play an active role in helping create more political, media and public…
Please upload the following: