3333 K Street, NW, 3rd Floor
The Legal Services Corporation (LSC) is the country’s single largest funder of civil legal aid for low-income Americans. Established in 1974, LSC operates as an independent 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation that promotes equal access to justice and provides grants for high-quality civil legal assistance. LSC currently funds 133 independent, nonprofit legal aid organizations with nearly 800 offices throughout the nation.
Basic Function: The Human Resources Assistant supports the overall Human Resources function and the Human Resources Director. The position will provide support to the Office of Human Resources (OHR) on recruitment, hiring, onboarding, offboarding, compliance, employee engagement, professional development and training, performance management, and system and record maintenance. The Assistant will provide courteous and prompt customer service to managers, employees, and candidates. Reports to Director of the Office of Human Resources.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plays active role in recruitment, hiring, and on-boarding processes, and provides necessary administrative support.
- Works with Human Capital Manager to finalize position announcements; helps identify recruitment strategies to ensure diverse and talented applicant pool; posts position announcements and maintains, monitors, and reports on posting costs; maintains updated position posting expenses.
- Supports the Human Capital Manager in monitoring and updating the job application portal and supports the full-cycle recruitment process including scheduling interview panels, reserving meeting space, and helping create interview materials. Creates and maintains the integrity of application files.
- Supports the annual internship cycles, including posting announcements, assisting offices with application screening and scheduling, participating on interview panels, and scheduling and assisting with completion of reference checks.
- Assists with successful onboarding process, including maintaining on-going communications with new hires; communicating and working with LSC staff to ensure office/work station is adequately set-up; verifying I-9 documentation; securing necessary documentation; scheduling and conducting new-hire orientation; and sending new hire surveys.
- Assists with successful offboarding process.
- Supports Human Capital Manager with the implementation of the performance management process.
- Assists with LSC’s professional development and training program
- Assists with drafting provider engagement agreements and ensures adherence to recordkeeping protocols for timely execution of agreements.
- Updates and maintains the confidentiality, accuracy and integrity of OHR data wherever stored, including in the HRIS, with vendors, in LSC’s data management system, and in other internal systems.
- Provides back-up support for monthly processing of payments for all OHR billing, including for trainings, job posting, supplies, employee reimbursements, and monthly premium billings for benefits plans in accordance with stated policies. Processes monthly credit card invoices using LSC’s expense management system. Resolves discrepancies, issues, and errors, as necessary.
- Assists Human Resources Director and Managers with administrative duties, conducts effective research, identifies ways to streamline and improve processes, and helps create and maintain Standard Operating Procedures and checklists. Efficiently retrieves data from systems to create reports and compile metrics for various OHR functions; presents information in various formats, including Excel spreadsheets, graphics, and written reports. Conducts periodic audits to ensure compliance and accuracy.
- Assists with projects, and organizes and plans staff events and celebrations.
- Provides back-up support for processing incoming and outgoing mail; updates mail log
- Provides back-up support for the administration and maintenance of the transportation allowance program, including administration of WMATA’s SmartBenefits program, and assisting with administration of parking benefits.
- Provides weekly coverage for Receptionist during lunch and breaks and as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Must demonstrate initiative and good judgment and be an effective problem-solver; excellent customer service with demonstrated ability to work with all staff regardless of personal circumstances; unimpeachable integrity and personal ethics; strong and effective organizational and time management skills; excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to craft solid written products and make group presentations and conduct meetings; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors work to ensure quality; ability to systematically organize and catalogue data and information; adaptable and able to adjust to shifting and changing priorities; attention to detail; must have demonstrated ability to appropriately handle and process confidential and sensitive information; works well independently and with others as a team member.
A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years of human resources or relevant experience required; good analytical skills; proficiency in Microsoft Office with advanced knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint; proficiency in web-based research; able to maintain and update electronic databases, resources, and tools.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary Range: $48,315 - $54,418
LSC has a competitive market-based salary structure that establishes a specific salary range for this position. The salary range has eight pay levels separated by seven steps. A new employee will be hired at Step 1 and must wait two years to advance to each of the next three steps (Steps 2 through 4), and one year to advance to each of the next four steps (Steps 5 through 8).
Excellent benefits package.
To apply, submit a complete application (provide ALL of the information requested and answer ALL of the questions) and attach a résumé and cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for this position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Apply directly on our website at: www.lsc.gov/about-lsc/careers
Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: If reasonable accommodation in the application process is required, please notify OHR at 202-295-1571 or email@example.com.
LSC embraces diversity as a core value. We recognize that our success as a corporation depends upon creating and maintaining a diverse team of talented professionals, and we are committed to a workplace that reflects and supports diverse individual backgrounds and perspectives. Our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and non-discrimination includes race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, personal appearance, genetic information, political affiliation, marital status, family responsibilities, disability and status as a veteran, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws or regulation. We strive to have a workplace that is comfortable and welcoming for everyone. LSC is an equal opportunity employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required