ABOUT URBAN ALLIANCE
Urban Alliance (UA) is a national youth workforce development non-profit organization headquartered in Washington, DC with regional offices in Baltimore, MD; Chicago, IL; and Northern Virginia. In 2018, UA will expand its core youth employment model – the High School Internship Program (HSIP) – to Detroit, MI.
The HSIP provides economically disadvantaged high school seniors with year-long paid internships, comprehensive job readiness training, and mentorship to ensure post-high school connection to college, a career, or career-training pathway. UA’s goal is to give young people an expanded idea of what’s possible for their future through access to meaningful professional development and work experience. Since 1996, UA has connected nearly 4,000 youth to professional paid internships.
Urban Alliance is searching for an Executive Director to lead UA’s local operations in Detroit. The Detroit Executive Director will be responsible for implementing local strategic growth initiatives and overseeing program management by securing corporate partnerships; cultivating community-wide relationships with foundations, schools, and other stakeholders; and ensuring program fidelity. A successful candidate will have a strong record of relationship building, sales or fundraising experience in the Detroit Metro area, and at least two years of management experience. This position will report directly to UA’s Chief Operating Officer (COO).
Strategic Growth & Fundraising:
· Collaborate with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), COO, and other senior leadership to develop and implement a long-term, sustainable vision for UA’s Detroit operations, including a comprehensive recruitment and stewardship strategy for corporate partners.
· Implement fundraising plans developed in conjunction with the National Development Team and senior leadership to support the strategic direction of the organization.
· Represent UA in Detroit among donors, corporate partners, schools, and key stakeholders.
· Collaborate with senior leadership and key stakeholders to target, recruit, and cultivate members for UA Detroit’s Advisory Board who can contribute to the organization’s regional growth.
· Manage the local Program Coordinator and ensure he/she is contributing to a positive internship experience for interns and job partners.
· Establish annual recruitment goals with the COO and Director of Program Quality, and proactively develop a student recruitment strategy in collaboration with school partners.
· Support the execution of student recruitment and cultivate key relationships at the school and District level.
· Use data to track program impact and success to inform strategy and improve program operations.
· Collaborate with UA’s COO and Finance Director to establish annual budgets, and track and project expenses.
· Track and obtain approval for program expenses and manage overall regional budget.
Data Management & Program Evaluation:
· Ensure the Program Coordinator is accurately inputting all program data in Salesforce in alignment with UA’s program evaluation standards.
· Ensure the Program Coordinator collaborates with the National Evaluation Team on the timely collection of student and job site data.
· Work with the COO, Chief Innovation Officer, and Director of Program Quality to identify program trends (e.g., college enrollment rates) and analyze UA’s ability to meet its goals to adjust accordingly.
· Work closely with the COO and National Development Team to establish annual goals for corporate sponsorships and track revenue targets, including from corporate partners and philanthropy.
· Maintain strong communication with the UA National Office.
· Plan and execute annual UA events, and provide support for all UA events in Detroit,
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· At least 5 years of demonstrated success in a sales/business development function, including success in prospecting and securing long-term partnerships.
· Experience with customer service and relationship management.
· Proven dynamic leader with demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team player.
· At least two years of experience managing a staff strongly preferred.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· High energy and passion for the Urban Alliance mission.
· Experience working with underserved youth preferred.
· Strong organizational skills, time management, and attention to detail.
· Entrepreneurial spirit with strong ability to take initiative, multi-task, and develop and implement strategies.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
UA shall follow the spirit and intent of all federal, state, and local employment laws and is committed to equal employment opportunity. To that end, the Board of Directors and the CEO of UA maintain a policy of providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. This includes hiring, promotion, training, transfer, assignment, compensation, fringe benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment. UA prohibits discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex age, citizenship status, handicap, religion, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factors unrelated to job duties. Each person is evaluated on the basis of personal skill and merit. The CEO shall act as the responsible agent in the full implementation of the Equal Employment Opportunity policy.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Annual salary range: $78,000-83,000
- Access to health insurance (medical, dental, vision) and retirement benefits package
- Annual professional development stipend
- Three weeks of paid annual leave and one week of paid organizational leave in December
- All federal holidays off
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter in a single PDF document addressed to Meaghan Woodbury, Chief Operating Officer. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Executive Director, Detroit.
Note: Please do not call to inquire about the position. Any application submitted through means not stated above will not be considered. Learn more at www.theurbanalliance.org.