Womankind provides a safe haven and empowers survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking to govern their own lives. It is the largest minority run and minority governed agency in New York State. Founded in 1982, Womankind is the only pan-Asian agency with a 24-hour multi-lingual hotline and a New York State licensed emergency shelter program in the east coast. Womankind provides counseling, case management and advocacy services for over 600 women and children each year. We also offer transitional housing and legal immigration services.
Project Free is the anti-human trafficking (HT) project at Womankind comprised of: community outreach and awareness raising, the Asian Women’s Empowerment (AWE) program, and counseling/case management.
The AWE program works with the human trafficking intervention courts in Queens and Manhattan to help women govern their own lives and begin the process of transcending their trauma. The AWE advocate is expected to spend some of their days at the courthouses, at the AWE program in Elmhurst, Queens, and perform various administrative duties at Womankind’s main office in lower Manhattan.
At the courts, the AWE
The AWE advocate’s primary responsibilities are to ensure that all clients receive prompt and professional services and provide holistic support that encourages self-sufficiency and empowerment.
- Manage and organize the day-to-day needs of the AWE program.
- Provide assessments, empowerment counseling services and crisis intervention.
- Maintain, develop and support the AWE longer term support group.
- Ensure that clients receive advocacy and accompaniment (either directly from the advocate or with the assistance of a volunteer) in order to gain remedies and/or benefits in family and criminal court, welfare offices and attorney’s offices.
- Provide legal, immigration, entitlement and housing information and referrals.
- Maintain proper documentation of case work and organization of case files.
- Coordinate with co-workers to provide office coverage.
- Provide coverage for helpline calls as necessary.
- Represent Womankind in outreach/community education events.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Minimum: Bachelors in Social Work, Psychology or related field with a clinical focus, plus at least 2 years direct practice with vulnerable populations.
- Must be fluent in Mandarin, oral and written proficiency preferred.
- Experience with anti-violence work, the Asian community, criminal justice, client advocacy and/or human trafficking.
- Ability to be self-directing and highly motivated.
- Must have a high level of organizational skills.
- Must be flexible with hours.
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be fluent in Mandarin, oral and written proficiency preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit Cover Letter, Resume, and Salary Requirements to email@example.com. Include your name and “AWE Advocate” in the subject line. No phone calls or recruiter calls, please. Womankind is an Equal Opportunity Employer.