Details: Salary dependent on Education and Qualifications
32 Ford Avenue
Under the direction of the United Way of Central Jersey, the Family Advocate works to promote child wellbeing and family stability while improving the capacity of caregivers to provide a safe and nurturing home to their children. The Family Advocate does this by establishing a trusting relationship with families and working with them to help them to access services and supports they need to be successful. A holistic planning approach is used to assist families with connecting to, navigating and utilizing needed health and social services. This job requires experience in offering voluntary services, engagement, community resources, case management, and an engaging personality.Under the immediate direction of an assigned supervisor at United Way of Central Jersey, the Family Advocate will work at various program host sites in Jamesburg which will likely include, but not necessarily be limited to, the JFK Elementary School, the Jamesburg Public Library, various food pantry sites, etc.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The ability to express, demonstrate and integrate the mission of UWCJ in the daily function of the job. Job performance that demonstrates the Mission include, but is not limited to, providing quality service, inventiveness, flexibility, creativity and respect for clients and co-workers.
The ability to engage families and children in diverse setting and through various mechanisms.
Knowledge of early childhood development and services and supports that can help young children and families to be successful.
The ability to utilize, handle, maintain and dispose of all communications, documentation and information, whether written, verbal or electronic, to ensure that the highest standards of confidentiality are maintained.
The ability to work cooperatively and harmoniously in diverse working environments as well as provide quality services to people from diverse groups in a non-biased, non-judgmental manner.
The ability to collect and evaluate information about the condition, history, preferences, strengths, motivations and needs of clients leading to service recommendations.
Knowledge (familiarity) with the range of social, educational, health and mental health services generally available, and in Middlesex County in particular
Strong organizational, written and oral communication skills; fluency in Spanish a strong preference.
The ability to advocate for, arrange, coordinate, monitor, and evaluate an array of services to meet the client’s complex needs.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS
A Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology or related field, Masters Degree a plus
At least one year experience in social services delivery, counseling, especially as relates to family and / or individual case management
A valid New Jersey Driver’s License with access to reliable automobile transportation
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Family Advocate will:
(1) Accept self-referrals and referrals from educational, medical/dental professionals, social service and faith-based personnel and organizations regarding families in need, primarily but not exclusively with young children (age 0-5), residing in the municipality of Jamesburg (and the immediate area).
(2) Conduct direct outreach to families who may be in need through print, electronic and other media tools including on-site personal outreach at various sites (as above).
(3) Conduct an assessment and complete a formal family service plan as a basis for engaging with families in order to resolve/ameliorate identified problems inhibiting successful day to day functioning relating to safety, health, education and financial security.
(4) Refer and connect families/individuals for services and programs to meet identified needs, which may include determination of eligibility for governmentally subsidized and other programs and services relating to housing, education (including ESL), income and health services.
(5) Serve as a direct advocate helping families when indicated, including navigating complex bureaucratic application processes in order to secure services for which they may be eligible.
(6) Help families meet basic needs for food, clothing and shelter.
*A Background Check will be Required*
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish a strong preference.
Minimum Education Required