945 N. College St.
Urban Ministry Center (UMC) is an interfaith organization dedicated to bringing the community together to end homelessness, one life at a time.
UMC has five core values it uses when hiring and evaluating staff members. These are:
- Heart for the Work
The UMC staff is truly passionate. We love what we do. We endeavor to be the very best at helping the people we serve and our colleagues succeed, even when no one is watching
- Kind and Compassionate
The UMC staff is kind and compassionate. We offer comfort and strength, hope and support to each other and to the people we serve.
- Results Oriented
The UMC staff is results oriented. We do not give up, even when faced with obstacles; utilizing flexibility and creative thinking.
The UMC staff values self-care, including caring for physical, emotional, and mental health care needs. Self-awareness allows staff to feel secure with their professional identity, including clarity of appropriate professional /personal boundaries and awareness of when to seek support from others.
- Team Oriented
The UMC staff is appreciative, helpful, and team oriented. We treat everyone with respect, knowing that we will achieve more working together than alone.
UMC is hiring a case manager for its Homeless to Homes program, a permanent supportive housing program that addresses chronic homelessness by providing subsidized housing and support services.
- Provide case management services to help participants successfully transition from chronic homelessness to housing. Manage a case load of 15 individuals.
- Assist individuals in locating housing, including liaising and advocating with landlords and assisting with completing apartment applications.
- Conduct home visits with participant several times a week during first months, and provide evidence-based treatment services to assist with stabilization and transition. Home visits may decrease over time as a person becomes more stable in housing.
- Provide ongoing evaluation of any presenting psychiatric or addiction symptoms and assess need for supportive services. Link clients to internal and external resources, including primary medical care, and mental health and addiction treatment services.
- Maintain program participant records, including comprehensive assessments, clinical progress notes, statistical/demographic information, and specific, achievable and measurable client-centered plans.
- Assist people with efforts to increase self-sufficiency, including applying for public benefits and pursuing educational and vocational goals.
- Perform risk management duties to promote health and safety onsite. Coordinate with apartment maintenance staff when needed and assist participants in making work requests and filing grievances as needed.
- Respond appropriately to resident emergencies, conflicts, and behavioral concerns or conflicts. Use crisis prevention and intervention techniques to handle acute incidents of physical and mental health crisis and aggression.
- Engage participants in their homes and in the general community.
- Assist participants in renewing their voluntary commitments in the lease and program guidelines.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a human services field OR commensurate experience in lieu of degree.
- Minimum of three years case management experience as well as past experience with chronically homeless adults, severe & persistent mental illness, substance abuse, and/or HIV.
- Experience with harm reduction principles and motivational interviewing and a demonstrated commitment to the housing first philosophy.
- Working knowledge of service/systems organizations involved in the welfare of chronically homeless people in the Charlotte Mecklenburg area.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with clients as well as service providers.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Self starter with excellent problem-solving and crisis management skills
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including computer proficiency.
- Believe in, and be able to work with, Urban Ministry Center’s core values
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send cover letter and resume to: