Associate Project Manager
Full Time Temporary
Fort Mason, Bld 201, 3rd floor
Associate Project Manager (Project 1 FT), Projects Department
The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is the nonprofit support partner of the Golden Gate National Parks—84,000 acres of national parkland throughout the Bay Area, including Muir Woods, Ocean Beach, Crissy Field, and Alcatraz. The Parks Conservancy is a membership organization created to preserve the Golden Gate National Parks, enhance the experiences of park visitors, and build a community dedicated to conserving the parks for the future. Park projects and programs include the Crissy Field Center, the promoting of leadership and environmental justice training for youth; the Native Plant Nurseries, which grows over 100,000 plants annually to restore habitat; Trails Forever, which is at work building and rehabilitating miles of trails throughout the parks; and volunteer programs that inspire over 25,000 people annually to take action in support the parks.
The Associate Project Manager (APM) coordinates all aspects of the planning and implementation of small to mid-size park projects, as well as supports department staff on larger projects. The position works in partnership with the Parks Conservancy’s six agency partners – the National Park Service; Presidio Trust; Golden Gate Bridge, Highway & Transportation District; California Department of Parks and Recreation; Marin Municipal Water District, and Marin County Parks. The Projects & Design team manages a diverse portfolio of projects, to include site improvements, trails, facilities, and resource conservation/management.
The ideal candidate has a background and interest in park and open space planning, as well as a commitment to thoughtfully integrating community design and engagement into park projects.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plans and manages all projects in partnership with agency partners. Collaborates closely with agency counterparts. Ensures projects follow agency protocols.
- Manages all aspects of small to mid-size park improvement and maintenance projects, to include project scoping; compliance and permitting; project design; schedule and budget development and tracking; implementation; and monitoring and reporting.
- Coordinates the project Interdisciplinary Team (IDT); tracks all tasks and ensures complete and clear understanding of team roles and responsibilities.
- Schedules and facilitates project meetings. Attend all project meetings; record and distribute minutes.
- Develop implementation plan for projects, to include project delivery method. Ensure successful implementation, to include implementation of all trainings and compliance measures; Contractor coordination; tracking project schedule and budget; review and approval of Request for Information (RFIs) and Change Orders; staff coordination and schedules. Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal ordinances, permitting, and best practices.
- Work in partnership with Parks Conservancy departments to ensure project scope and schedules are well understood, and clearly communicated to park partners and park users.
- Ensure proper project completion and close out, to include coordination of site visits and technical oversight by 3rd party and NPS; documentation with partner organizations as required; and final reporting.
- Monitor project performance during warranty/post-project period to ensure all elements perform to established standards, adaptively manage if required.
- Work with agency partners and the Parks Conservancy’s Conservation & Stewardship Department to facilitate the transition from project implementation to long-term stewardship.
- Other duties as assigned.
Staff and Consultant Management
- Hire and manage project Consultants, to include development and review of Request for Proposals (RFPs), preparing Work Orders and contracts, consultant coordination, and invoice approval. Ensures timely completion of all work products; reviews all work products for consistency with contractual obligations.
- Hire, train, and supervise staff, to include Restoration Technicians, Project Assistants, and additional agency support staff.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Completed a BS or BA in architecture, landscape architecture, planning, biology, or a related field.
- Capable of independently managing projects of a small to mid-size in terms of budget and/or complexity.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions; capable of independent decision making.
- Strong communication skills, to include oral, technical writing, and graphic communication.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and facilitate meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and manage interns, staff, and contractors.
- Demonstrated ability to perform management tasks, including meeting coordination, budget tracking, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to be a creative problem solver; capable of working within an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple simultaneous projects.
- Familiar with the basic principles and practices of project management.
- Familiar with compliance processes, to include NEPA, NHPA, and CEQA.
- Experience reviewing and reading construction drawings, specifications, and compliance documents a plus.
- Basic knowledge of the principles and practices of natural and cultural resource protection.
- Experience with project management / project design software and tools, to include Microsoft Project, Adobe Suite, Auto CAD, ArcGIS.
- Experience with additional software platforms a plus, to include SketchUp, Rhino, etc.
SUPERVISOR: The APM reports to a Project Manager, Senior Project Manager, or Deputy Director.
Applications accepted until position is filled.
No phone calls please.
The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, placement and promotions are conducted without regard to an individual's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical handicap, veteran status or sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by Federal, State, and local laws & ordinances.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please APPLY: http://www.parksconservancy.org/about/jobs/?gnk=job&gni=8a7885a8612bf7ec01616c6bca5d0322&gns=Internal%20Applicant