479 Troutman Street
Make the Road New York (MRNY) builds the power of Latinx and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. Make the Road New York operates neighborhood-based community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; Brentwood, Long Island and White Plains, Westchester. With a membership of 23,000 New Yorkers, MRNY tackles the critical issues facing our community, including workplace justice, tenants’ rights, immigrant rights, TGNCIQ (transgender, gender non-conforming, intersex and queer) justice and educational justice.
THE DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
MRNY's development department is in charge of meeting the organization's $18+ million annual budget and overseeing its capital campaign to build a new community center. We raise funds from diverse sources, including private and public institutions and individuals at all levels. We work closely with MRNY’s program staff and executive team to accomplish these ambitious fundraising goals and to support the core mission of the organization.
MRNY seeks a full-time development associate to be directly responsible for two key areas of work: 1) fundraising from government agencies and 2) research on prospective funders, both individual and institutional. The associate will also support foundation fundraising and will assist with other development projects as needed, including a capital campaign to build a new community center. The associate will provide critical support to a rapidly growing organization and will report directly to the associate development director.
This position will run for six months with the possibility of becoming permanent.
· Coordinate government grant applications and reports, and track deadlines.
· Cultivate, solicit, and steward relationships with elected officials and agency leaders.
· Maintain and update government registrations and pre-qualifications, as well as files and database records related to government grant seeking.
· Compile detailed profiles of prospective funders using a variety of strategies, including online research.
· Provide administrative backup to senior program staff doing fundraising.
· Support the work of the development department by assisting with the gala, supporting foundation and individual fundraising, and helping with other priority events
· Two to five years of progressively responsible development experience, or related experience, preferably in a nonprofit organization.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to represent the organization to funders as well as interface with all levels of staff while maintaining flexibility, tact, and a positive attitude.
· Be a team player and a self-starter with extremely strong organizational skills and attention to detail
· Ability to handle lots of deadlines, prioritize, and complete assignments with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
· A demonstrated commitment to social justice and collective action.
· A sense of humor.
· Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus.
Make the Road New York is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and seeks to insure equal opportunity and equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, religion, color, citizenship, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, gender identity, genetic information and sexual orientation, in all employment decisions including but not limited to hiring, compensation, benefits, training, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
<img src="https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif" style="background-color: initial;">
Starting salary is based on a step scale based on years of experience. Generous package of vacation, personal and sick days. Excellent health and dental coverage and family leave policies.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-lingual - Spanish
Minimum Education Required