As the state education agency for the District of Columbia, the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) is sustaining, accelerating, and deepening the progress being made for DC’s 90,000+ students. We work in partnership with 470+ early childhood facilities, 200+ schools, 60+ local education agencies (including DCPS and charter organizations), and countless community-based organizations. In pursuit of our mission to remove barriers and create pathways for District residents to receive a great education, we set statewide policies, provide our education partners with resources and support, and exercise accountability for all public education in DC.
OSSE’s Office of the Chief of Staff is a dynamic team that provides strategic guidance and support to the Superintendent, overseeing the implementation of the agency’s strategic plan and other high profile priorities. We are looking for someone with excellent analytical, communication, and organizational skills to join our team as a Program Associate. This position will offer access to senior leadership, broad exposure to the range of policy and programmatic issues, and the chance to work closely with the Superintendent. It is ideal for a self-starter who is interested in building the knowledge, skills and relationships that will prepare them for a leadership role in the education sector.
This role will report to the Deputy Chief of Staff.
Internal and External Performance Management (20%)
· Manage the collection, submission, and tracking of external agency performance metrics to the Office of the City Administrator
· Support internal agency performance tools and performance management meetings
· In partnership with the Communications team, administer the annual OSSE Staff Survey and lead the analysis of its results
Organizational Support (20%)
· Provide planning and organizational support for the agency’s Leadership Team
· Ensure that the Superintendent is effectively prepared for major meetings by compiling briefing notes, drafting answers to anticipated questions, etc.
· Support management of the Superintendent’s calendar, in partnership with the Deputy Chief of Staff and Executive Assistant
· Track down specific requests for information from across the agency for the Superintendent and Chief of Staff
Policy & Legislative Affairs Support (30%)
· Track Council legislation that impacts the agency and monitor legislative activity
· Support development of agency responses to Council inquiries
· Conduct research and analysis on Council legislation
· Assist in preparing briefing materials and talking points for hearings and other public appearances by the Superintendent and other senior staff
Research, Analysis and Special Projects (30%)
· Engage in short and medium-term projects to support cross-agency, strategic, and special priorities
· Analyze internal surveys, identify key takeaways, and develop presentations to communicate findings to staff and leadership
· Develop briefing documents, decision matrices, memos, presentations, website content and other materials to support the Superintendent and high-priority initiatives
· Provide timely and value-adding research and synthesis
Candidate Skills & Qualifications
· 3-4 years of relevant work experience
· Exceptional organizational skills and a strong attention to detail
· Experience managing multiple projects and small tasks simultaneously, with track record in moving work forward and driving results
· Ability to work effectively with others at all levels of an organization and to consistently display a high level of professionalism in all interactions
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to synthesize information from multiple sources to solve problems, identify trends, and create narratives
· Demonstrated experience with developing presentations in PowerPoint, briefing materials, and talking points
· Adaptability to changing needs and priorities
· Legislative experience at any level of government (preferred)
· Ability to conduct basic analysis using Excel (preferred)
· Deep interest in education policy issues, the role of a state education agency, and the DC education landscape
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to OSSE.Talent@dc.gov using the following name convention: first name.last name_COS Program Associate.
As the state education agency for the District of Columbia, the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) is sustaining, accelerating, and deepening the progress being made for DC’s 90,000+ students. We work in…